Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Pod or Digitech BP8?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by naka-pako, Jul 18, 2001.

1. naka-pako

naka-pako

Aug 11, 2000
    This may be an old subject but I'd appreciate any input from experienced players on the forum. The more detailed, the more appreciated...thanks....d;)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Duuuuude ~

These are two COMPLETELY different toys. The BP-8 is a recording device, and the POD is an amp simulator with some effects.

If it's recording you want to do, I'd avoid the BP-8. It's not intuitive in its operation, and only has two inputs. Get something a little more conventional with four or eight tracks and four inputs at least.

The POD does a pretty good job of mimicking some classic amps, but if you're not doing classic rock or a tribute act, it has limited utility. It's also not too user-friendly, especially for live use. Recording, you could do some interesting stuff with it.

3. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I have never heard of the BP8 as a recording device. The only thing I know it to be is a multi effects processor. We are talking about the Digitech BP8 right?

4. naka-pako

naka-pako

Aug 11, 2000
    Yes, I am referring to the Digitech BP8. It is a multi-effects processor. Haven't tried either of them but wanted some input from those in the know.
    Thanks...;d)

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ooops! My bad. I was thinking Boss BR-8. Never mind.

::: Chris Farley ON :::
    (JESUS! I can't believe I did that! STUPID!)
    ::: Chris Farley OFF :::

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´d go with the BP-8 in terms of ease of use, I´d read that the POD its kinda hard to use live (you would need the Line6 floor controler to do it). The BP-8 is live ready and you have almost every efect we bassists need to groove (except overdrive I think, not sure)

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The BP8 has overdrive. It's not the greatest but it gets the job done. I have a BP8, and in my experience it gets the job done in live situations. But it is a little too noisy for recording. I personally don't use a whole lot of effects, so the BP8 is plenty for me. If you plan on using effects a good deal you might want to go with separate pedals.

I've never used the Line 6 so I can't say much about it but I know it has amp modeling, which the BP8 doesn't. From what I've heard the Line 6 probably has better sound quality, but it might not have all the effects you want and if you want to use it live you'll probably want to get the floor controller, which means spending more money.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have to go with the Line 6 on this one, for either live or recording work. The amp sounds are great, and right on, the effects are cool, and the controls are easy to figure out, and if you have to read the manual, it is very clear and very well organized. You can also bypass all the amp settings and the effects settings and use it as a really strong DI. I really have to vote that the line 6 is one of the most amazing pieces of gear that I have ever played with...

9. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I am selling a BP8 if anyone out there is interested.