Bass POD or J-Station?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dabluesman, May 25, 2001.

1. dabluesman

dabluesman Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Any of you guys using either of these? Which one do you recommend? I'm wanting to use one of these to run my bass into my computer for recording. And if it sounds good enough, I'd like to use it before my bass amp too. The J-Station does more than just bass guitar but it is cheaper than the POD. Which one sounds the most realistic? Maybe I should just wait for Fender to come out with a "Cyber-Bass Amp" (that would be sweet.) Thanks!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. dabluesman

Mar 29, 2000
    Is the V-Amp made for bass or regular 6-string guitars? If it is for bass then can someone compare it to the Bass POD and J-station? Currently I'm using a SansAmp Bass DI through my Hartke B-90 amp and out the headphone jack to my computer. (I cant tget a strong enough signal with the SansAmp alone...)
  4. I just got a BassPodPro and am finding it quite useful. I plug it into a GK 700RB/210 combo amp that I set pretty flat. I run mt AUB, fretless and my fretted and find that each has a favorite setting that is easier to get to than just going straight into the GK. I find I don't use the effects that much and I'm still trying to figure out how to use the buildt in compressor.

I'm not sorry I got it and I'm thinking serioulsy about getting the floor board for it.

One "complaint I have is that switching between the line input and the bass input causes a quite audible pop so you need to use the tuning button in place of a mute switch.
  5. I find the pedal board makes a HUGE difference in usability of the bass bean. When you're live, you can setup the next sim setting while you're playing, then lock in the change at the critical moment. It also has the tune button which doubles as a very effective mute if/when you need to manually change instruments.

I haven't tried getting the same effect with some other MIDI controller yet - don't have one (yet :) )
  6. ...just to follow up... Used the POD through my new amp at practice yesterday, and man does it make a difference! The Ashdown has two preamps, a solid-state and a tube that you can adjust the balance between. For some of the default POD settings, adding more tube than SS to the input REALLY warms up an otherwise harsh sound.

Aside: I'm still getting over the initial excitement over the new sound I'm getting. :)

In a nutshell, I'd expect a similar effect in the studio, passing the POD amp sim output through a tube DI/amp.
  7. dabluesman

Mar 29, 2000
    Well, I got the J-Station yesterday and the SVT model is amazing. The J-Station lets you compress certain frequencies so compressing the lower frequencies really makes it sweet for bass. Thanks for the input guys! Check out the J-Statin if you can, it's only $150 and sounds surprisingly realistic.
  8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Does it have a strong enough signal to run direct to your computer?
  9. dabluesman

Mar 29, 2000
    primusdude, yes it does. However I did have to go to the "do" (digital output?) setting and bump it up to about 20 or so..
  10. Jamo2000

Jun 24, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've got a JS & floorboard, which I used for guitar on projects to great effect. Recently, in a spectacular "DUH" moment when I was considering a MIDI bass pedal project (since abandoned- I need to be able to move around on stage) I realized I could us the JS for some different textures/effects to tart up the live show a bit. I've fiddled with it a bit, not enough to bring to rehearsal yet, but I'm encouraged. The Fuzz setting is so sick it made me laugh out loud. Can anyone detail their signal chain? Are you going into the front end or the fx loop? Although, in theory, I agree with Kasim Sultan "Effects on bass are bull%^&*", fun's fun. Amiright? Also, if anybody has any video up using the JS with bass that would be cool. When I attain full cromulence, I'll post one up.
  11. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Wow, talk about a zombie thread! 2001?

J-Stations work fine for bass. Used mine for recording for a long time. Great editing software, probably the best I've ever seen to this day.