Bass POD + Power Amp = t3h Win???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Jul 25, 2005.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    So, I've been looking around for alternatives to my Ampeg SVT3-Pro and Avatar cab set-up. I'm quite curious about the Bass POD and a poweramp.

If I were to use such a set-up, I'd probably go with a 500-750 watt power amp, possibly Carvin, Behringer, or Crown. Is the POD hot enough to drive a power amp?

How good does the POD emulate amps and effects? I've heard very mixed reviews. Some guys swear by 'em, some wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire in a nursery full of newborns.

Also, which POD do you suggest, if any? The Live, or the rackmount with their big ol' footswitch? I'd continue to run this rig through an Avatar B212.
  2. I've "heard" there can be latency problems with a POD. I myself had one, but sold it back to the store. That being said, I have a friend who uses a POD live, with I think a Mesa power head and and SWR Henry the Eight ? (8x8"s) and it sounded really good, even with heavy overdrive. So I'd play it along side your current rig and check for that, but it may work just great for you !
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I use my POD strictly as a DI. I wasn't too crazy about it when using it with my amps. As a DI it works and sounds great. As part of the signal chain to my amp it didn't really do it for me. Too coloured.
  4. The B Pod is a good studio tool, but it's way to twitchy to be an acceptable preamp. Some of the amp models have enough gain to drive a power amp well and some do not. The gain on different amp emulations vary so wildly you have to stop and completely re-adjust your settings every time you switch. Kick in any of the fuzz emulations and it'll take your head off so you have to re-adjust there too. Count on spending hours upon hours of deep editing trying to iron out the Pod's little idiosyncracies, even then I'm not sure it's fully possible to do. Unless you're a chronic knob twiddler and enjoy that sort of thing I'd skip the Pod altogether and go for a regular preamp.
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used one live into a power amp from 2000 until last year. 4 years with no problems. I use a Boss GT-6B now, because I wanted an all in one floor unit and the Bass Pod XT Live hadn't come out yet. I can assure you that they are not too twitchy to be an acceptable preamp.

You can see mine sitting on top of the bass cabinet behind me.

6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    This is the essence of the POD in all its versions. Its got everything under the sun stuffed into one box. You can make it sound like nearly anything, but only with a lot of work. If you like this kind of thing its awesome. If you don't its the worst thing you will ever buy.

I know two guitarists who use the POD XT exclusively in their live rigs (one with a poweramp and cabinet, the other as a DI). Both swear by it, but both are geeks at heart who spent several days (one took a week off work just to play with his POD) editing and tweaking presets. I think the Bass POD is no different.
  7. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Like I said before, I used mine live for 4 years and didn't spend much time at all editing patches. I never even used the deep editing, just the knobs on the Bass Pod. I guess different people have different needs, but I found it easy to get good sounds.
  8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think that with any product like this you can use it well or use it poorly. It is as equally easy to get a decent sound as it is to get a horrible sound. I just picked up a GT6B this afternoon and I have to say it is more fun to use than the POD and sounds better, BUT my POD is of the original series and I have not been able to compare it to the PODxt or the POD Live (which would have been really nice from what I have read).

9. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    My $0.02 on the Pod.

The Bass Pod is a POS. The effects are TERRIBLE, the eq is harshly voiced without deep editing, and many of the cab selections do not sound good OR like the real thing. The noise gate is also worthless, being one of the most hissy settings I've ever heard on anything. Not to mention that if you're using the thing live, there's a good 1/4th to 1/2 second of slience when you switch channels. My dad bought one of these, and after owning it for five years, he has ONE usable tone. And it's not a great tone, either. It's just passable. The only strength is that he can get that tone out of pretty much any power amp he plugs into.

However, the Guitar Pod sounds really really good and makes a nice bass preamp. There's still the moment of silence when you switch channels, but at least you'll sound good in between those.
  10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

11. Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    "I use a Boss GT-6B now, because I wanted an all in one floor unit and the Bass Pod XT Live hadn't come out yet."

I have one too and wondered how it worked as a pre-amp.
  12. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    You're talking about the original, older model. They seem to have sorted it out.
  13. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It works great. I can get any sound I want from it. I use the SVT model and it sounds great. For small gigs I send the output to a power amp, or a bass head (works great either way). For larger gigs I use the 1/4 output to my power amp, and the XLR output to the PA. Never had a problem.
  14. Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    Right now I am only using some of the preset effects. I haven't ventured into the other aspects of the GT-6b (amp modeling, pre-amp etc)
  15. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I played arround on a Pod for about 2 hours and found 2 effects that i'd consider usable. I've never liked Line 6's bass stuff
  16. I love my podXT - use it all the time onstage. I can get that great MACCA '65 SHEA STADIUM rig with a twist of a knob.

The effects, erm... the distortions are ok, but the chorus/flange/phaseRS are the weakest point of the thing.

I'm young, so I dunno what the REAL versions of all the modeled stomps sound like... they may be good or bad :bassist:
  17. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I find this very interesting; after looking over Ben Kenneys rig and listening to his stuff with Incubus I got the urge to get a Bass Pod. He swears by them, as well as Mr. Boyd. His rig is actually what I'm after so maybe that's what's making me influenced? I just really like the effects he uses, they're very mellow and enjoyable.

Has anyone tried the newer models to see if the problems were worked out?

I feel sad now, I almost got a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 of off j-raj :( I want Mesa cabs.