bass pod/pre-amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alansan, Apr 8, 2005.

1. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    I've heard the Bass Pod pro is intended more for studio use. Does anyone use it at gigs? If so do you use it on its own as a di into the pa system or just as a tone-shaping pre amp to your miked rig.

Also with the big bells and whistles rack mountable version would this become the amp that drives your cabinets or is it still just a pre-amp?

How cheesy (or not) are the built-in effects?

As you can tell from these questions I've always spent my money on basses rather than amps so my knowledge of same is pretty basic.

Any advice based on experience appreciated. :bag:
  2. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I've used the original version Bass POD Pro for 4-5 years.

In my opinion it's best designed

1st. For a recording tool

2nd. As a dedicated preamp going into a power amp

3rd. As an effects unit

Having said that, I pretty much just use mine in the effects loop of my rig most of the time. The effects are "okay" and the unit takes a little while to tweak. I pretty much use mine after I get an overall sound I want from my preamp and then just fine tune it with the POD.

If you're only concerned with using a minimal amount of effects, I would suggest getting pedals. Since I invested in a pedal board and some quality pedals, I rarely change presets on the POD anymore.
  3. Check out this thread in the Effects forum:

It is one of the more informative threads on the differences between the older Pod series and the PodXT series. As Razor said, the POD (either kidney bean or Pro) is best used as a recording tool, but Line 6 did the XT series up right and works incredibly well as a preamp with a dedicated power amp.
  4. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    thanks guys, that link in particular has answered all my questions.