bass pod pro as live pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by weldon, Aug 20, 2003.

1. weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Guitar Center is selling these at $450 as part of their anniversary sale. Seems like a good price. I've played with it and I can get good sounds out of it in the showroom, but how does it fair for live gigs? I'd connect it to a PA for room sound and a power amp for onstage amplification. I might like to have 3 or 4 pre-sets to switch between funk, rock, pop, and country - sometimes all in the same set.

My other choices are (used) Alembic F-1X or Ampeg SVP-Pro. At $450 they are all pretty close in price.

Real world experience using it for live gigs would be nice.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No offense, but you should do a forum search on this item. There have been several threads asking the exact question and you'll find plenty of info and opinions already at your fingertips.
  3. weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    None taken. I've read all the bass pod threads from the last 8-12 months. I could've resurrected one of those I suppose. Found some good info, definitely.

I'd still like to hear how people use this live and how it works to switch settings. I'd also like to hear if people's opinions change at this price point.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've heard people complain that the pod sound is slow and not punchy as they'd like live. I'd recommend the RBI at $300. very flexible sound and had DI output clean and wet. but it sounds like your fishing for reasons TO buy the pod.
  5. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I use my Pod Pro live every weekend. I don't run a cab or an amp, just let the monitors and house PA do their jobs. I love this thing. It will take some tweaking to get "your" sound, but once you do, watch out. I do recommend that you get the floorboard for changing on the fly. To have sixteen amp models and all the effects you'll ever need in one unit for $450 is a steal. IMHO, this thing rocks! :bassist:
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I used it live one time. I promptly returned it the next morning.

For me, it was "slow", almost delayed response time. It was strange, hard to exactly describe. All I know was that I was geting some funny looks from my bandmates. It didn't seem to carry the low notes real strongly either. It would cut out on me too. Our band plays modern rock covers, some "nu-metal".

The guy above me loves his, so I guess you got two totally different opinions now. For the record, I did not hook mine up the same way he did.

7. kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I tried for 2 years to get a decent sound from mine live & failed. Its complex to use and IMO I never achieved a sound anywhere near as good as my RBI (which I've owned now for 3 weeks). The effects suck unless you have a high output bass (especially the synth).I have got a good acoustic guitar sound from the SPDIF out when recording though.

I take it you're talking about the now discontinued version and not the XT? Could this explain the price drop?
  8. weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Hmmm, yeah it must be the discontinued version. That would explain the nifty price.

I really appreciate the feedback on using the pod in live gigs. It sounds like it works for some, but I've heard that delay comment a couple times. Seems like those that suffered from the delay used it in the effects loop of their amp head.

Still, I'm not really won over to the idea, especially since there is a newer version at the higher price. I have a hard time buying last-gen stuff (unless it's vintage of course).

I think I'd rather try and find a more traditional pre-amp. Unfortunately, there I haven't found a shop around Denver that has many pre-amps to try out.
  9. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I've used my Bass POD Pro for at least 18 months. Use it around 4-5 times a week and I have used it as a dedicated preamp, and now in the effects loop of my rig. It is pretty complicated to use and the effects are not as "awesome" as some high dollar pedals but once you get the hang of how to use the unit you can pretty much dial in any sound you want. I have used it as a gig rig but it really shines as a studio tool. I like the unit simply for it's versatility as an all in one effects unit. As far as the delay when switching effects....never had a problem or noticed any lag at all with mine and I normally use multiple effects with many of the tunes our project plays.