Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass POD Pro/Head unit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razor, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Taking a small poll of Bass POD Pro users..looking to see how people are setting them up with heads and with power amps. I currently just got mine and I am trying to determine the best way to run it into a powered head. Two schools of thought are:
    1. Run bass into POD Pro and then run the output of the POD Pro into the line/instrument input on front of the head unit.
    2. Run bass into the line/instrument input on front of head and use the effects loop for the POD Pro.

I am currently using a Hartke 7000 head unit at the current time but I am concerned about how hot a signal the POD Pro delivers and how to tweak it so that it doesn't damage/distort the head unit. If this becomes too much of a battle and I can't find someone who has been able to get a good fix with a similar setup then I suppose it'll be best to just get a power amp and run bass into POD Pro, then into power amp..just trying to get a basis for using what I have as opposed to buying another piece of gear. Many thanks for any/all replies.
    Alan

2. I am using the bass pod not the pro and I run bass into the pod then the pod into effects return, this sees to be the best option to me.

3. Here is what I do. I run the bass guitar into the Pod Pro. Take the 1/4 model out of the pod pro and plug it into the effects return on my head.

4. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I'd run the output from the back into the line input on the front, and use the "output level" on the pod to control how hot the signal is, the EQ on amps is quite useful for tones n stuff.

5. ZZMorgan

ZZMorgan

Sep 6, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I run the Bass Pod directly into the power amp of an Ampeg Pro Series 3, with the EQ on the amp turned off. I do all my adjustments from the instrument and the Pod. This gets the cleanest sound for me. And it has the advantage that I can get the same sound whether I run through my amp, a house system or recording.

The Pod is so "instrument specific" that you have to do a fair amount of fiddling and knob turning to get the right sound for you. It is worth it in my opinion.

ZZ

Edit: As you can see from the replies so far, you have gotten as many options as replies. This underscores my point about the Pod being very instrument specific. I would add user specific, too.

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Thanks for the replies...I am going to try the effects loop on the head first simply because that's what it was designed for. However I will also look at the other option as well to find the best "sound" and I think as long as I don't crank the output knob on the POD Pro my head should be fine should I choose to go straight into the input on the front of the head.
    Anyway, my point originally was thanks for the replies. It's great to have so many different ways to do something......sure makes things easier.

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Alright, after getting my rig back, I tried it both ways. I tried to loop everything using the effects return. No good, probably from my inability to hook things up correctly but alas, no sound.
    Therefore...I opted to simply run my bass into the POD and then use the modeled out into the front input on the head. End result? A huge, loud wall of sound. I am happy with it although I am getting a good amount of hum/noise. I figured this much going the route I have but all in all I think it will work. Anyone with any other suggestions? I am open to them but wanted to let yall know I got it going and it's sounding good.
    I currently run both active and passive basses. I am using the POD Pro, a BBE 362, and going into the Hartke 7000.
    Again, thanks for the helpful comments/opinions/suggestions.

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    i run my bass thru the pod than into the power amp of my head amp ...