Bass POD pro users, need your help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by giantjerk, Jan 30, 2005.

1. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I have acquired a Line6 bass POD pro, for several reasons that I won't go into and really are not germaine to my question. My main amp is a (pre-Fender) SWR 350X head and a SWR Workingmans 4 10 cabinet. It has been a solid, reliable and good sounding rig up until the addition of the POD pro. With the addition of the POD pro, my sound has lost fullness, sounds thin and sustain appears to have diminished. When I use the POD with a set of headphones it sounds great.

I am running my bass that is equiped with a Sadowsky passive split P pickup directly into the front input on the POD, the modeled output on the rear of the POD into the active input on the front of the 350X. I have used both the passive and active inputs on the 350x and the active inputs sounds slightly better.

Could it be because the 350X has a tube pre-amp that is mucking up the sound?

The preamp and tone controls can be bypassed and it can be used just as a power amp. I tried this too. It sounded a little better but I lost some if not most of the SWR tone that I have come accustomed to as well as some of the functionality of the head.

Anyone else encounter anything like this? And if so what did you do about it.

I haven't spent a ton of time trying to dial this thing in but enough to be frustrated.
  2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I would use it as a preamp and bybass the SWR's pre but you said you didn't like that. Maybe try running the pod in the effects loop?
  3. Or run the output of the POD into the return of the effects loop.
  4. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's bypassing the preamp. He already said he tried it and didn't like it becuause it got rid of the SWR tone he likes.
  5. My bad, sorry I didn't read that. I was thinking that if it sounds good through headphones, the closest way to recreate that is an effects return... but I see what you mean.

Maybe the cab is not quite as flat as the headphones.

May be worth trying the effects loop... but I do wonder if it's the right tool for what giantjerk's trying to do.

giantjerk - is there a speaker simulation built into it? It may be worth disabling that.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    there's a chance that part of the problem may be that the pod has way too much stuff crammed into it. the actual preamp portion of the pod might cost 5 bucks, the preamp portion of the swr might be 100 or so.

not everything that sounds cool thru headphones is going to sound good thru an amp

not to start any flame wars or offend anyone, but to me the bass pod is a nifty toy, but i wouldn't use one live.

7. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I knew the inevitable "toy" reference was bound to be brought up by my question. I bought it because I have a 3 1/2 year old adopted daughter who is absolutely terrified of loud noises and I practice at night after she goes to bed.

Is it a toy, sure it is, and in a broader sense ALL my musical equipment can be considered toys. BUT for all the bells and whistles and all that this unit is supposed to be capable of, it should be capable of sounding good.

I have read and re-read the manual. While I give alot of credit to the guys at Line6 who had alot of fun writing it (and it is fun reading it) it sometimes lacks in depth.

As for turning the modeling off the manual says:

"The 1/4 inch Model output is now carrying your signal – without speaker/mic/room simulation – to your on-stage power amp and cabinets. This lets you drive your backline for a wall of stadium filling sound, or a more modest power amp/cab setup for your personal on-stage pleasure."

I think that I am going to borrow a Crown power amp from a friend and try that in place of the SWR to see how it sounds.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can try the crown but i doubt you'll hear an appreciable difference (except it might be louder)
    swr poweramps may not be the most powerful but they do sound very good with bass and are fairly transparent.
  9. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I'm really beginning to think that it is the tube preamp on the SWR that is impacting the sound. If I replace the SWR with the crown and there is no appreciable difference then I will know that it is not the SWR.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I personally think the POD sounds terrible live, and is more suited to a recording tool. YMMV.

Like anything else, it can BE a toy, or used as a tool if used appropriately. Try it for recording, which is more akin to your using it through headphones. If you use it live through an amp, I'd suggest turning the modelling off and just use it for effects.
  11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Could it be that the speaker emulations of the POD are fighting with the inherent tone of your speaker cabinets?

I haven't spent much time with a POD but own a Behringer Vamp Pro for guitar. The speaker emulations can be turned off in the Behringer.

If you're playing through your cabinet, you don't need speaker emulation. If you just want to use the POD's effects, can you put it on the Tube Preamp patch, run the effects wet only and plug the POD in your effects loop? Then, with the SWRs effects blend you can blend the SWR preamp tone with the wet effects signal of the POD.

If you want to use the amp models and SWR preamp, perhaps you could plug your bass into a Y cord, plug that into both the SWR input and the POD input, then plug the POD output into the effects return and vary the mix with the effects blend control (I presume that the 350X is like the 350 by having a parallel effects loop).

If I'm completely missing the point, please tell me what you're trying to achieve and I'll try to think of some other weird way to interconnect the amp and POD.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The POD is an amp modeler. I thought the idea was to enable one to get the sound of other amps (classic amps, mainly). It seems to me that you would expect, when you set the POD to sound like a 360 or a Bassman 50 or something, that it wouldn't sound like an SWR amp. I had an original POD, and it does what it does well. I could even get the gawdawful sound of my first amp, a Bassman 50, out of it. It turns out that I just don't like the sound of vintage amps at all. It's history.

On the other hand, if you're using it for the effects, there are a lot better multi-effects units out there than the POD.
  13. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The the AIR is on that might be your problem That's the thing that makes it sound like your using miced up cabs when your using the pod as a DI. When you're using it as a preamp/effect unit you want to turn that off if you haven't already.
  14. ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
    i owned a line6 bass pod pro untill i got into my first serious recording session at fully professional studio. That's where i understood that this equipement is a useless piece junk!!!
    Buy a real analog pre and don't mess with the so called modelling technology, u know as they say " a copy is still just a copy" . Buy yourself a real analog pre, that's were the real sound is hidin' :))

By the way, if have such a nice bass rig, why did u ever need that modelling processor. If i where u i would buy some high quality stomp boxes to the rig and would end this story. :))
  15. As he said, it's so he can practice late at night without disturbing his daughter.

I'd say - if it's good enough at that, use it for that purpose, and possibly recording, and use your SWR rig for anything else.