Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass pod pro with other pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B@ssT, Jun 13, 2003.

1. B@ssT

B@ssT

Jun 11, 2003
    Belgium
    Is it possible to use the bass pod pro in one way or another in combination with a different pre-amp? My problem is that the color of the pod is to pure, to saturated and I thought I could patch it into my trace elliot pre-amp and set proportions there. Is it possible to connect the pod by effects send and return on my Trace elliot GP12SMX? And set proportions by turning the effectslevel up on my Trace?

Thanks in advance,

B@ssT

2. Yes,it should be possible although I have never tried it (caveat). You set the switch on the front to "Line Input" and use the line level input on the rear left to connect to the send from your Trace. You can use the "Post Effects" send to connect to the return on your Trace. Good luck.

3. I've tried doing that and run into some phasing problems. It seems that the POD takes a little longer to process the sound than the other pre-amp causing some phase cancellation. Try it with your stuff, it may work OK.

4. I agree with the above post. I tried using it with a GK 700RB after purchasing the Pod Pro last year and it never worked out for me. I ended up getting a power amp and now either use one or the other.

5. B@ssT

B@ssT

Jun 11, 2003
    Belgium
    I've tried it out, and it ain't what it should be...
    I was thinking do you guys know any pre-amp that certainly can...
    Maybe the eden pre-amp?

Thanks again for all...

B@ssT

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Well...that definately doesn't make me feel good. I currently run my POD Pro into a Hartke 7000 head via front inputs...not what it's designed for but since the Hartke's effects loop doesn't wanna work that's all I can do...end result is a ton of noise and hum but that's where I am right now.
    I was going to get a nice power amp along with an SVP-Pro (for the tubes!!) and run the POD Pro into the loop on the SVP-Pro. But now I hear what you all are saying about the delay an all....it's got me thinking I might have similar problems. I really like the POD Pro but I ain't sold on using it stand-alone with a power amp yet. I think I'm gonna be constantly craving some good ole' tube warmth to go along with the POD Pro. Emulation only does so much for me.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    What are you trying to achieve?

8. The Pod Pro gives you a lot of sound choices, but what it doesn't give is the right feel. It is my opinion that because of all the digital conversion it adds a slight delay. When I say slight I mean barely measurable. But, when you try to mix the process sound with the dry sound you get phase cancellation that means only one thing. The processed sound is delayed. As for recording, however, the Pod is the sh!t. jmho

9. B@ssT

B@ssT

Jun 11, 2003
    Belgium
    Is there really nobody who tried to connect the bass pod pro with another pre-amp successfull?
    I'd like to use my pod as a sort of effect to get the wright sound but its not easy enough for me to set the intensity of those sounds...

Thanks for all your time people

B@ssT;)

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Anyone know how to run a Bass POD Pro into a power amp in stereo? I just got an Ampeg SVP-1500 power amp...I want to run it stereo using the POD Pro as a preamp. I guess I need to use balanced cables but what two outputs on the POD do I send into the two inputs on the SVP??
    GreyBeard where you at?

11. baggpuss

baggpuss

May 28, 2003
    Hull, UK
    this confused me as well but is faily easy..
    the model out put on back of pod pro when in live mode is a stereo jack, not mono, so just get proper splitter cables and go stright to power amp.... i thing..lol

Dale

12. The POD Pro doesn't work in stereo. The outputs on the back are Model out (effected) and DI (dry) So bout the only thing you can do is send one side the wet signal and the other side the dry. I don't think this is what you want. :meh:

13. Greybeard's onto something...it's like running a MoBass!!I'd never thought of running it like that...Maybe I should get one and try it...

DWB

14. baggpuss

baggpuss

May 28, 2003
    Hull, UK
    hey again..
    looked in manual, and the model output on back is a stereo jack.
    tho they could be identical signals ( which is really mono )
    hope this helps.

Dale

15. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'm trying to use the POD Pro as an effects unit with my SVP-Pro but it's not working. I am running my bass into the SVP and I have tried hooking the POD into the effects loop on the SVP but with no luck. I have tried using post effects loop on the POD and also running the modeled output into the SVP's return...still no dice. Anyone have any ideas?

16. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    You should be able to connect to an external amp/pre-amps effects send/return by using the line level input from the send of your amp and returning via the D.I analogue out of the BPP .
    This allows you to bypass the amp/cab modelling and just switch the effects on or off by the "apply fx to DI" button.