Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass POD Rackmount

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by biergott, Jun 21, 2002.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    With a footswitch, is this worth the money as a live sound/effects processor? Or am I better off with my assortment of stompboxes?

It's pretty pricey, but looks to be a good rig. I currently run an overdrive, chorus, phaser, wah, synth, and octaver.

I am also wondering if there is a delay when you switch effects....

Any feedback would be great!!!!

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Its a great preamp. Some of the effects capture the "vibe" of the originals,but if you are an avid "Effector" you'll want to put your present pedalboard in the effects loop of the BPP. I use the Acoustic 360 as my main amp model(I like the tight low-mids), it brings out the natural flavor of my Warwick. I use it twice a weekend live(www.ptmeatbox.com). About the only effect on it that was sub-par was the Boss OC-2, which has no independent volume controls for the diffferent octaves. So I use one outboard on my pedalboard. There is no discernable noise when you shift gears(effects) betweren verse and chorus. The o.d., phaser, chorus and synth are good. You'll probably want to use your octave outboard. It will take two years to scratch the suface of what it can do, but you're gonna LOVE IT!

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I agree totally. This is a great "Emulator" and I learn how to do something different with it every time I turn it on. I to love the Acoustic 360 setting but I play with them all. The possibilities are endless. I experience no noticable delay when switching effects, even during a song. Be wary though, when you select the distortion effects it is tremendously louder and if you're within 100 feet of the cab it will def give your pickups some squeal. All in all I love my Bass POD Pro.

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I used the pod-pro exclusively on my last recording session. The producer and myself kept constantly going back to it. I agree that it is an "emulator." It is not the real thing, but the fact that it has such a variety of sounds makes it invaluable. The convience of being able emulate an (insert amp/cab brand) is great. Having to find the real thing can be a pain. Plus moving mikes/cabs around and changing amp heads takes up time. I doubt that I would use it as an effects unit though. The effects in it are good, but I still stick to my trusty old pedals.(especially live)

Dave

5. So what's the difference between the Bass Pod Pro and the standard Bass Pod? Is it worth the additional bucks?

Hey Davehenning- Are you the "Big Wreck" guy? If so, somebody was just asking me about you........:)

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

My personal opinion of the POD Pro is that for an effects unit it is not worth the money!

I was in the market for a multi-effects unit, and while it has several good effects, it is not a good multi effects unit. It is an excellent amp and cab simulator - which I believe is what it is primarily intended to be.

I believe that it also works well as a pre-amp. I think it is a good tool for a session bass player doing a lot of recording - he has at his fingertips a very large number of amp and cab models to find the sound that is required!

I did not need an amp simulator (I like my Trace Elliot gear, and my band writes original music). I was looking for an effects unit, and for the money I feel there are better suited multi effects units on the market. I actually traded mine in for a Fretless Jazz bass and a BOSS GT-6B. This made me happy - I found what I was looking for.

I would recommend that you go and try a POD is you are thinking about it - the replies above show what other people are using it for and theye are happy. I would just say that because of the outlay, make sure it is what you want.

Oh, and as far as I remember, there is no noticeable delay when switching 'patches'!

7. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I will stick with pedals as I really don't need an emulator at this point. (I love my SVT4PRO, PR15H, and PR410H)