Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Pod. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vlad335, Dec 29, 2003.

1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Here comes the GAS again...

We recently added a new guitar player to our band and he uses a Guitar Pod Pro into a poweramp. This runs into a Mesa 4-12. I have to say he has the most awesome guitar sound I have ever heard. Searing, raw, warm distortion and absolutly pristine clean sounds. It would be impossible to really describe his sound with words so I will stop.

His entrance served to start me gassing for a Bass Pod ProXT. Man, I can't stop thinking about it! I think you people know what I mean when GAS gets ahold of you.

My rig is not shabby in the least now. I am using a Alembic Fx-1, QSC PLX 1202 bridge mono into an Ernie Ball MM HD-212 and EB/MM HD-210

As I see it, if I went with the Bass Pod, my Alembic pre would be out of the picture as well as my pedals. (six of them)

I have done searches here and have seen mixed reviews of the Pods. One thing that gets me thinking though is the guitar player in question states that he extensively edited the presets that came with his Pod. He has an engineering degree and spent alot of time with it. I wonder if the people who diss the Pod were just using the presets and never delved into what this thing could do.

I am interested of Talkbassers thoughts on this.

Thanks

2. My opinion: The POD is a modeler of the most commonly used/most famous bass amps. As a preamp, it does the job well. When I used one, the Mesa 400+ and the Eden Traveler settings were dead-on and well designed. This isn't an multi-effect processor, however, and if you ever use chorus/flange/phaser/delay/etc AT THE SAME TIME, I'm pretty sure this unit doesn't do that. The Alembic FX-1 is an enviable preamp to own...I want one as a matter of fact.

I think you might want to just re-tweak your settings to be more of a complement than competition to your new guitarist. If you two can just get out of each other's eq space, then you'll work together great.

My guess is he developed his wonderful sound without playing with a bass player, so he filled up the audio spectrum as much as he wanted. But now that he's in a band, he's robbing the low end from you.

The FX-1 through 1200 watts should be more than adequate.