Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Pod XT Live users

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BluesMan845, Jan 3, 2006.

1. I just bought this unit yesterday and I'm pretty impressed with the sound quality.

I am wondering though how experienced users are taking advantage of the features of the XTL. How do you run the unit when used on stage? Before your bass amps preamp, or do you bypass and go right to the power amp?

I was thinking that best way to take advantage of the unit with my GK 700/Neo may be to turn off the AMP models on all the presets. There is lot to experiment with and it is slightly overwhelming. The line6 forum seems to be filled with complaints about line6 so I thought I'd get more useful info from the TB community.

Thx!

2. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I run mine through the effects send/return on my amp... if your amp has one, that's the way to go, and I believe what Line6 recommends.

If you haven't already, download the Monkey software from the Line6 site as well as the editor, and latest updates. Then you can edit from your computer which is a bit easier than paging through loads of screens onthat tiny display. Plus, you can go to customtone.com and download stuff that other people have created.

I haven't had the time to really dig into mine yet either, but there's a lot there to mess around with. Definitely a huge step up from my original BOD overall. Great for practicing through headphones with a computer or mp3/cd player jacked into the aux too.
    ---
    Chris

3. gflowers

gflowers Sadowsky Nut Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I had an Eden back line rig before getting the pod xt and I replaced the entire rig with the pod. I run direct from the pod to the FOH board. I use in-ear monitors so I really don't need a stage amp. I set up the pod, using an AB box, to sound as close as possible to my Eden rig. I now go to my gigs with a couple of gig bags as opposed to a couple hundred pounds of gear. I can't really tell any difference between the Eden "model" and my old stage rig.

4. That's interesting gflowers. I was playing around with the GK800 model and it sounds remarkably close to my 700RBII head.

I am trying to figure out if it's possible to use the BOD in this manner, maybe someone can help with the answer:

Take the BPOD MODEL output and run that into the EFFECT RETURN of amp and run BPOD DI to the INPUT of my amp.

Originally, I thought this could be done with no adaptors, but plugging into the EFFECT RETURN seems to terminate any signal coming from the preamp of my GK. Now I am wondering if through the use of a Y splitter, can I get this done by plugging the Y male end into the EFFECT RETURN and then feed one side of the Y with the EFFECT SEND, and the other side with the MODEL output from the BPOD?

I'm trying to get an answer from GK directly before trying this. In theory, it sounds like it should work.... Any thoughts ?

5. Hey Blue Man,
    Try plugging just the model output into your effects return.This will bypass the preamp of your 700RB.Turn your boost knob all the way down and adjust the main volume on the amp to taste. You will now be using all the amp models of the Bass Pod Live.Hope this helps,
    B :hyper:

6. Hey B,

Thanks, I have been using it like this, but I miss the sound of the GK preamp. The modeled 800RB sounds good, but it's not the same.

I just picked up some adaptors and I am going to try to get it work the way I described in my post. I have attached a graphic of what I plan on doing.

7. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by connecting it that way. You can always just plug your bass into the Bpod and connect the model out into the input of your GK and then bypass the amp models on the Bpod.
    Brent

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've been plugging mine into the preamp input of my Ampeg SVT3-Pro, and it bypasses the preamp of the head. But I don't know if your amp has that...

9. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I believe thats just another name for an FX loop return.....

10. I use my Bass Pod XT Live in conjunction with a Radial Bass Tonebone. (w/ Effects Loop) My amp is an Eden WT800, so I use that for primarily 90% of our songs...but the Pod throws in some great effects.

11. Ahh, yes, but I would like the best of both worlds (on a poor mans budget ). By doing that I am not taking advantage of the great modeled amps the BOD offers.

What I am ultimately going for though is to have the sound of my GK amp unaltered by the POD, while at the same time utilizing the sound shaping and amp modeling effects of the POD. By running the configuration the way I diagrammed, I am hoping to get results similar to what I would get if I used two seperate amps. One with a pure GK sound and the other running the wet signal from the POD. It's much the same result that you would get when recording bass with a DI, and a mic'd input. One is clean, the other has the effects/dirt and then you blend the two together for a bigger sound than either one alone allows.

I went out and bought a Y adaptor and have hooked it up and it is working. I am able to run any of the sounds the POD is capable of producing into the power amp and then dial in the clean, unaltered GK tone via the Volume knob on the amp. The two sounds are meeting at the EFFECT LOOP and combining. I can control the mix via the Volume knob on the amp and the pedal on the BOD.

It's unorthodox, but it seems to be working and I am getting a much bigger sound than using the POD or Amp alone would give me.