Bass POD XT Live vs. Boss GT6B ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fender32, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England

Having read loads of conflicting and confusing reviews of these two pedalboards, I thought I'd take a shortcut and just ask the experts! ;)

All I want is a good quality selection of amp models with the abililty to realistically simulate different cab types, in a programmable floor unit. Effects are a secondary requirement. I don't normally use them, but that's probably because I don't have any decent ones! Ease of use in a live situation would be a bonus too.

I intend to use it for home practise (through headphones) and live use, possibly through a variety of (low quality) amps, with a wide selection of basses, so the quality of the tone is quite crucial.

As far as I can see, there are only these two contenders, without going as far as the Roland V Bass system.

I have to say that on the surface, the POD seems to make more sense, as it has 32 amp models, as opposed to the 6 on the Boss unit and I don't really use many effects. Still, I have a normal Bass POD (non XT) and am not thrilled about most of the amp models (in particular, the huge difference in output when switching between them).

My only other concern, is over the level at which the guitar signal goes in to the unit. I know that the Boss unit has a level control on the back, but I can't see anything like that on the POD. My old POD simply can't handle my active Jazz Bass without distorting and even my StingRay scares it a little.

So, any advice and comments from users of either (or better still, both), would be much appreciated. :)
  2. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    No one does modeling better than Line 6. The GT6B Boss unit is mainly just multi-effects, like having alot of stomp pedals put together in one. The Line 6 POD stuff is like having all those stomp pedals, a bass amp,and a bass cabinet all in one unit. If you want amp modeling Line 6 is definitely the way to go.