Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Pod XT Live

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by butchonbass, Aug 25, 2005.

1. butchonbass

butchonbass Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just got one, mainly for the amp modeling. I don't want to get the whole debate started again, but I want to mention BassSmith. As others have noted, the factory presets on the pod need a lot of work to be usable. And as others have noted, the manual and tiny screen will make you want to throw it out a window. The BassSmith program puts everything on the screen of your computer and it's super easy to use. I plan to replace every preset on the unit when I have more time. For $51, BassSmith is a bargain. Here is their website: https://www.geffert-digital.com/

2. Cool. Why do the factory presets need a lot of work (too much treble, too much reverb, etc.)?

3. butchonbass

Apr 12, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think they were trying to show everything that was possible with the presets. They are over the top. You can tweak onboard, but the BassSmith program gives you total control all on one screen without having to scroll through nested menus on the tiny screen on the unit.

4. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    +1
    About half the presets are "extreme" and not really practical...more or less sound effects.
    Like they were trying to show off all of the capabilities of the unit. Also the levels between different presets are wildly variable.
    Once you get into editing on this unit, you realize you can get just about anything out of it that you want.

5. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Ya, I've used it to get my own sound, a Steve Harris sound, a Jaco, sound a Geddy Lee sound, and a good slap sound. Also old school sounds or just wierd ethereal effects for sonically vast music.
    It's a great product. Though getting the volumes right on all of them can be tricky. Especially when you change a patch and don't save it, it looses any edits to it. Does the BassSmith have anything to edit the overall volume for a patch without changing any amp qualities?
    Through my GK transparent GK rig it sounds very good. Maybe not all of the amps are realistic, but who cares? It gets the job done, quite well too.

6. butchonbass

Apr 12, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You can set the volume of each patch with BassSmith. Since the XT is my only preamp, I just set all of them to max volume.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I tried the PodXT live, I"m really not interested in amp modelling but was interested in the effects.
    I was very impressed with some of the effects models, particularly the mutron. I thought the synths were surprisingly good also.
    IMO it's not quite there yet, in an iteration or two it might be. Where it fell down for me was in it not being able to combine effects, such as fuzz and ev filter. I'm not sure if that's because their modelling can't cope with cascading effects, or just because they didn't think people would want it.

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    doesnt seem to be a manual downlaod page on line6's site from my cursory search. any details on the limitations of combining effects? can you at least put on some distortion or overdrive and then use that to add emphasis to a phaser or flanger, as that is what i generally do. ?? other than having a distorted or fuzzed wah, those are the only times i can see myself wanting to combine effects.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The manual is on there, I downloaded it a while ago

10. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    I like my bp xt live. it smashes my old bp pro, plus if you look at the cost of a pod + floorboard it is a decent deal. (plus it does more).

I do need to tweak some of the patches. It is pretty obvious which ones are just for showing off.

I wrote some software for my old bp to edit it on my mac. I need to see if line6's stuff actually works or if they're pulling us along. If it doesn't I'll probably update it to work with the xt live. (http://bpedit.jefftrout.com/)

It is nice that you can actually edit everything on the unit itself unlike its prececessors.

11. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Yes, you can combine one type of stomp box, one type of modulation, one type of delay. It's if you wanted to use two of any type that it's not possible. Distortion plus flanger is fine. Distortion plus wah may not be possible. I'll have to check that more closely, I'm not sitting by the unit right now.

12. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    You can do anything + wah, unless you meant autowah.

I love how the pedal acts as a volume pedal unless it is in wah mode (just click it on like you'd normally do)

13. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    You're right, you sent me scrambling to the manual too. The wah option is buried in a menu, but it can be turned on for any patch. Cool!

14. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Damn, now I see, you step on it hard and it switches. I had already tried this and it didn't do anything, but I just stepped on it really hard, and it's like something broke free. Now it works fine. Guess mine was just a little funny. Thanks threshar.

15. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Oh, and BTW, My pedal sucks on my bassPOD xt live
    It's not smooth, very jumpy and if you move it back and forth fairly quickly it sqeaks!
    I'm really tempted to open up the thing and fix it. Anyone got some non-invasive techniques to fix that?

16. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    squeak?

haven't had that. perhaps you should contact line6

Yes - you have to do it kind of hard - but if you've used other wah pedals you'll realize that is generally the norm (think of situations where you just want your vol up high and smack the pedal - you want it loud not wahhing).

There are so many "knobs" and whatnot on it... you can do amazing things. The effects are generally pretty good too - unlike the unusable ones on the old pods

17. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Mine is very smooth, and doesn't squeak. Maybe you got a dud...if you can't fix it, exchange it for a new one.

18. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
  19. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Pls Help Me clear my confusion
    im a complete noob

i wanna noe
    1.Does BassSmith work for the Bass PODxt live?
    2.What's BassSmith and what does it do for the Bass PODxt live?
    2.Whats amp modelling?
    3.What's modulation?
    4.what does a sound editor do?

HELP!!!

btw,sorry for the stupid questions but i really need to know!!!!

20. I have seriously considered buying one of these, does anyone have any experience with it?