1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Pod XT pro as pre?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spode master, Sep 10, 2008.

1. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Those of you that have been following my rig building thread are familiar with the cabs that I am working on. Basically a Hi-Fi Bass/Key rig.

I'm not sure if I should put this under effects or what because this involves amps and cabinetry.

I've been seeking out options for a good pre so I could ditch out on my SVT Pro-3 which is a good head (I have one of the pre-isolation transformer DI's).

It seems like this Bass Pod XT pro is the way to go.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with these as far as how good they sound through relatively flat responding speakers.

Do they really sound like a well miced ampeg 8x10 when using that model?

Is the sound quality great, good, passable, or mediocre??

I'm quite excited to check one of these things out once I get the rig all together.

I really like the idea of having ultimate tonal flexibility which was part of my original design concept.

The only thing that I think its lacking is a stereo capability, but stereo bass has its problems so I guess thats fine.

Hey it even has a xover mode for Bi amping. I'm set for that but SWEET!

Any thoughts?

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Its a good unit. I don't have a whole lot of experience with it since I don't own one, but I've spent a little time on one owned by a friend. I'd say the sound would be between good and passable. That said, its probably got the best amp/speaker models of any mulit-effect of its kind...well other than the new Boss GT which I haven't played so I don't know.

3. I think if you're going to use that for a pre you will want your cab and amp to be as transparent as possible to take advantage of the modeling features.

4. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Have you seen my cabinet build thread?

5. I saw this one
    BS212.

6. I have a Korg AX1000B on my board for effects (some really nice modulations and delays).

I've tried an older POD and had the behringer unit.

I've never been happy with the speaker sims, and theres just something missing compared to good analog boxes...in my case BDDI and english muffn (real tube overdrive/preamp pedal)....can't put my finger on it but the modellers seem flat somehow. My bass signal is running through the korg all the time so the A/D converters are good enough for me.

I could see them being handy for backup and in the studio, but I'm sticking with analog for drive.

Of course, the unit you mention may be different.

7. EW57

EW57

Aug 3, 2006
    I had an Ampeg SVT III Pro with one SVT410 & one SVT115, which I promptly sold once I used a Bod XT Pro with a Fitzmaurice Omni 15 (very transparent).

[​IMG]

http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5880

I've since sold the XT Pro & gotten the X3. Does it sound "exactly" like a "real" Ampeg SVT, no, but the SVT III Pro doesnt sound like a "real" SVT either, and I've realized the only people in bars that care about the equipment being used are other musicians, and to me that doesnt justify having alot of cash wrapped up in Ampeg stuff.

I like the versatility of the X3 (and XT Pro), but it does require a fair amount of fiddling with to get the full use out if it, definitely not as "plug & play" like the Ampeg was.

I enjoyed reading your thread regarding your custom cabinets, your skills far outweigh my own for sure!! I applaud your willingness to take the road less traveled.

8. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Ohh yah the X3 pro looks even better. I might have to get me one of those!!!

9. EW57

EW57

Aug 3, 2006
    I had both the XT & an XT Pro & think the compactness & portability (and price) of the bean outweighed the additional bells & whistles of the XT Pro, although it did look pretty sharp in the rack. I ended up selling the XT Pro for $15 less than I gave for it, bought an X3, and still had about $100 left over!

I stilll have the XT 'bean' and about the only thing it's got on the X3 is the built in crossover, but I've got an external, so I'm just holding onto the XT as a spare/backup.

10. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Ive tried tons of amps and models from bad to high end (behringers to edens, mesas, swrs fenders sunns, etc) and all sizes. and to me the most transparent cab ive ever heard is a gk neo212. with the eq flat you can hear all the details in your playing. Ive even stalked them and its basically the same thing but maybe a little more pronounced mids. But by far the clearest high powered speakers Ive heard. Ive heard some friends do it yourself cabs and not so good. I owned a line6basspodxt aqnd a line6basspodpro and I can tell you right now the modeling on the amps and cabs is not terrible but its far from the real thing. It will never be. Like someone here said, the only people that will probably care are musicians.

These are useful tools for versatile tone shaping. They well never nail an amps sound because there are endless things in it and just like no two boards and woods are alike and no basses sound 100% the same, no two amps, much less vintage amps who havent aged alike and dont have the same desired tube setups or who havent been modded over the years. If you've played the real thing modeling will only dissapoint. Take it for what it is. A convenience. Cant replace the real thing and shouldnt but it has its place.

11. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I just wanted to post some thoughts about "modeling" engines.

I think with DSP technology, companys like line 6 and boss can probably get the Amp models fairly close, maybe even closer to an ideal circuit than a real one.

I'm not sure most people who use the modeling pedals are aware, but I think the biggest hurdle for designers is the Cab modeling.

Its my guess that what the modelers are doing is generating a custom Eq and phase curve.

There is one thing that I think may be difficult or imposible for the modelers to recreate and that is the way a particular speaker breaks up and distorts.

So the cab modeling is probably more of a middle ground, it probably sounds more like the cabs at low volumes. Perhaps they have some level dependant distortion, but trying to make an equivalent electronic circuit that distorts like a paper cone is probably not going to happen any time soon.

The distortion does make speakers sound louder too, but thats a differnt topic.

Just some thoughts.

Antone-

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Depends, but software (PC and embedded) modeling can use convolution reverb to recreate a cabinet. An impulse response is taken from the real cabinet and fed into a convolution reverb and anything you play through it sounds the same as a cabinet. Impulses can be taken at different levels to capture what the real cabinet will do.

Check out Peavey Revalver, it has a demo and a light convolution for the cabinet emulation
    http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/peavey-revalver-mkiii/may-08/36087

I'm sure you're going to see more and more of this for pedals. Fishman has a line of pedals for restoring acoustic guitar body sound to piezo pickups in the bridge. They have sound samples at their site.

Convolution is amazing, It works for guitar bodies, it works for cabinets, it works for halls. It's just expensive right now.