Bass Pod XT Pro info...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by driverfound, Feb 16, 2004.

1. driverfound

Feb 5, 2004
    This is one of my first posts on talkbass, although I have viewing this board for a while now.

Since I am not sure if this is a effects or amplifier question, I posted it here.

I have been playing bass about 4 years now and love the instrument. :) I'm at the point of it not being a mystery to me anymore and I can just sit down and have fun playing bass!

I have experimented with a few amp setups and would like to build a small rig that is flexible and scalable.

Now that I am in the market for new gear, I am considering the new Bass Pod XT Pro preamp since it has received nice reviews and I had the chance to play with it in a store. For those who use it, or have used it, what are your feelings on it?

I like the fact that I can use it as a direct box, while on the other hand, can use it to drive a bi-amped rig.

I plan to purchase it to use as a nice preamp with amp/cabinet modeling effects, NOT for the “sound effects”.

Thanks for your time!
  2. Well people have wildly varying opinions on things like this. Heck, even an old faithful like a GK 800rb will evoke strong but varied reactions, so it's no surprise that anything a bit unconventional like the line 6 gear is gonna get some "hate it's" and "love it's". i'm a love it guy.

I have the non xt version, i am trying to get an xt but there are non for sale in the country aparently. even INXS' bass player can't get one (though i bet he gets his before i get mine :spit: )

I use it as a live preamp and love it, more tones than i ever need, some ok effects that i admittedly don't use much. Definitely takes some time to tweak it to find tones you like but i hardly consider that a downfall.
  3. driverfound

Feb 5, 2004

Thank you for writing a little review of it. I am not personally into effects, and not considering the bass pod for that feature. I plan to use it as a nice preamp along with amp modeling and maybe compression once and a while.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My opinion (and everyone has one) . . .

POD's are great for recording, not so great live. You will almost ALWAYS get a better tone through a "real" amp. If you gig out and about, you frequently have to slightly tweak your tone to fit the room or stage's acoustics, and that's not that simple with the POD. It isn't what its designed to do. Sure, you can get by with it in a pinch, but you will get much better results with a simple "real" preamp like a Sansamp RBI which can be had for the same or even a little less $$$.

If you are just going to jam in your home, I'm sure it will be fine.