1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Pod XT vs Boss GT-6B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Happynoj, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Right, I am in the process of upgrading my cheapo effects pedals, and am considering a decent multi as an alternative to seperates - more flexibility with changing effects, wider range of effects, greater portability etc.

I will probably keep using my wah pedal and Bass Synth Wah, purely for ease and the fact that I like the sound, and I may go ahead with my planned purchase of a new overdrive, but as far as everything else goes, I am thinking about the Bass Pod XT (either bean or live, not sure yet) or the Boss GT-6B.

Now I know the major feature of the Line 6 is the amp modelling, but that is not a major factor for me, and the Boss has some amp modelling, although I have heard that it is not as good as the Pod. This is not a problem as long as I can get a nice sound.

My biggest question is about the quality of the effects. The Pod models some famous effects, but after reading the manuel, most of the effects are not ones I would pick to do those jobs - I would rather have a Boss PH-3 than an MXR Phase 90 etc, but I am sure they sound good.

What is the quality of the effects on the two units? Does one sound better/worse? Is one more digital sounding (bearing in mind that I like effects to stand out, hence I would rather have the very digital PH-3 over a much more subtle and analogue Phase 90)? What is the OD sound like, as that will be important? Does the Boss compressor get really comressy, or can it be more subtle, like a Punch Factory?

If someone knows of any other forums that may be better to answer this question, feel free to PM me (I don't know whether Talkbass want links to OTHER bass forums posted...?)

Cheers

2. If you are after FX, I suggest putting the Korg 3000B on your audition list....
    I use pedals for overdrive and amp simulation....but the modulations and delays on the korg are excellent and the unit is only $200. Easy to program as well. Lots of phasers including a sim of the the TC Electronics pedal from the 70s.

3. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like my rig so I went with the Boss for better effects over the Line 6's models.

I don't know how to quantify digital sounding. Maybe the experts here can. To me, once the din starts and the drums and guitars kick in, it all sounds the same and the audience doesn't care.

4. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    If you're not concerned with amp modeling, have you considered the ME-50B? It gets better reviews than the GT-6B.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021