Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass pod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by clammit l82, May 26, 2001.

1. ive finally saved up some money to spend on my bass. i kinda wanted to get a pod but when i looked into it the cheapest i could find it for was about 300 bucks. would u think its worth it?

2. and i guess i shouldve put this in effects...oops

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Where ever you go, there you are!

(AKA, you're now in effects!)

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    A Bass POD is studio gear, so unless you're recording, you don't need it. It wasn't meant to be used live, really, unless you use ONE setting on it and leave it there. In that case, it would probably still be a waste of money for you.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, you could conceivably use it on stage fairly easily. Just set the presets the way you want them, and use one of the two available pedals to switch channels between songs. This would be good for an oldies band if you're trying to produce sounds similar to the originals. The easiest way to do this is to use the POD as a pre-amp, then run it directly to the board ... no amp required. This method also reduces the coloration that you'd get by running it through your bass amp.

Our stand-in lead guitarist for our gig next Friday uses his pod that way, and it sounds remarkably good. He's familiar enough with it that he doesn't even use presets ... he just manually changes the controls for each song, sometimes even during songs.

Now, if you're near southern California, I'll sell you my POD, in brand new condition, including case, for $250. I just don't use it enough to justify owning it. Besides, I like the "modern" sounding equipment, come to find out.

6. Well, my POD just proved it's live worth last night. Our band played in the annual Techrocks battle o' bands thing last night (a multi-week thing, so it ain't over yet) and we're on to the finals! We're "stuck" using the sponsor-provided gear (Fender Bassman 400 head into a matching 4x10 cab) because there isn't enough time to allow for setup and tear-down time between bands.

I was able to plug in the pod, flatten and turn off the EQ, and not worry about making the amp sound ideal. Having the peddle-board does make it more practical live. The pod makes for a much more predictable sound - it's venue and equipment independent... Unless someone happens to think a KEYBOARD amp makes for an adequate bass amp; different gig, different story.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's a $100 rebate on PODs right now. MF and GC have 'em at $350, minus $100 = $250. You could get it for less, I think. I got mine for $300 when there was no rebate.