Bass Pod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 7Stringer, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Does anyone have any experiences with the Line 6 Bass Pod to share? I am considering buying one, but have never used effects for my bass. In the band I am in, I think it might be a nice additional dimension...some chorus here and there. Any thoughts? Is the unit pretty reliable/not-noisy?
  2. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    hey man
    HMmmmmmmm bass pod.. im conflicting over this or not...... i dunno man.. its digital... you cant tweek em as much as analog effects but..hmmm
    thats alot of money if your only gonna use a couple of them.. also i hear you have to turn your amp all the way up for it to work right(this is just what a friend sed.. im not 100 percent sure)... try out the digitech bp8 before you get the Bass Pod.. its around the same price and thers more effects..
    Some of the bass pod effects from what i here are a little uhh-ish.. but thats my ear.. decide on your own.. try one out man...1 rule... dont let someone tell you what to buy and what not to buy.. its your ears.. but test it out first.. alot of people dont like the fact that i use effects.. they say "nick why do you use delays and tremelos" i just say.. "I dunno why do you play a 5 string or why do you play jazz?" nothing against that at all i like jazz.. its just dont let other people tell you what to do.. have fun and good luck on finding some effects bro.. ps tell us what ya got and what its like man
  3. Since this isn't being asked as a recording question and more of an effects one, i'm moving it there.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, you'll get a lot of different opinions on the Bass Pod. Mine is such that I bought the Bass Pod close to a year ago. I loved it so much that I returned it within 2 weeks.

It's not a bad unit, per se, but isn't meant to be an effects unit, like some people expect. Furthermore, if you're looking for a programmable effects unit, look further! It's not very user friendly. There are many stories of dramatic volume changes with changes in effects. Also, you can only use one at a time.

The thing I hated the most was that although you could bypass the effects, you could NOT bypass the amp modeling mode. Some of the models programmed are quite interesting! But, I didn't want modeling. I like my amp and like my tone the way it is. When I want to add effects, I don't want to make the tone go from EBS to Acoustic 360 or to GK or to Trace Elliot...I want it to sound like an EBS with an effect.

So, I returned it and picked up a Boss PH-3 phase shifter and a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI. I'm much happier now:D
  5. Mr_Pink

Nov 30, 2000
    After problems with my on-stage sound I decided to give the basspod a try. On stage I conected it straight to the PA. ( So bass in pod, pod to mixer = >no bass amp).
    It sounded very good...

After that I never used my amp on stage again ( I play every weekend).

This to say I'm very pleased with the pod as an '"amp-simulator"

For effects it's another story. DON'T BUY THE POD FOR THE EFFECTS. Although some effects sound very good, the pod isn't meant as an effect-unit. Most of the effects are useless and you can't mix them.
    The pod is meant simulate amps, and that's what it should be used for
  6. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000

So do you use a monitor to hear yourself?

We just recorded our demo CD and I was plugged into a Line 6 Bass Pod and I think the bass sounds like crap. I don't know if if was the guy didn't know how to tune in the bass, but it sounds sort of like an amp at the bottom of a swinmming pool full of water!!!!!!YUCK!..... NO definition, no growl no soft low tones, just indiscernible garble.
  7. Mr_Pink

Nov 30, 2000
    yes, i have my own monitor, all for myself :D (the band I play in has it's own PA)

Hmmm never used the pod in a studio. Dunno if I would use it in studio either.....I use it on stage cause I play in a cover band.
  8. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    well you are supposed to tweak it to suit your own sound (no point dialling in rock classic ampeg if your playing jazz) also the best setup is to di out AND amp model out from the POD to the desk (this simulates both a straight di from your bass and a miked cabinet you then balance both to get your sound), you can also set it up in such a way as to record the track AND THEN tweak the pod settings to 'audition' each amp model till you get the one you like.

Maybe your sound engineer was crap (although I find it next to impossible to get a bad recorded sound out of a POD :confused:

Every studio I've worked in has a POD and about 80% of full time session guys use 'em in the studio (a mate of mine has being using his live on broadway for the past year) so there must be something to 'em.

(funny thing is most people who complain about the POD invariably arent using it right....the POD is NOT an effects unit, it has a few fecky effects but its primary function is as an Amp modeler....also the POD will not make a cheap bass sound like a top of the range Fender/musicman whatever itll just sound like a cheap bass playing through a good amp)
  9. I agree with some of the sentiment here - if you want multi effects don't buy a POD. I have a POD Pro. I haven't used it much, it's not quite what I was looking for . I too was looking for a multi effects unit - the POD isn't it. However, for recording and amp modelling it is great! It's also simple to re-amp a bassline.

IT is a pain to bypass everything, the only way to do it is to put it into tuner mode! IT might be possible (I haven't tried it though) if you have a selectable effects loop!

I can foresee me keeping the Bass POD for recording and buying one of the newer multi effects unit for live use. I might even do away with the POD if the mulit effect units are good enough.

The ones I'd like to try are the Boss BT-6B and the Roland V-Bass - these look similar, but I wanna see what the differences are
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The whole purpose of the Bass Pod is amp modelling, so there is no reason to bypass it. Let me make this clear - IT IS NOT A MULTI-EFFECTS UNIT. If that is what you want don't by a Bass Pod. It is an amp modeller with some effects added. I have used one live for almost 2 years now (ever since they came out) and I get the best sound I've ever had. But I don't go into a bass amp, I go direct to the board, or into a power amp/speaker setup. The bass pod then BECOMES your amp, and you treat it like an amp (you can use effects pedals in front of it, for example, or do anything you would do with a regular amp). You wouldn't bypass your amp would you? Regardless of what it says in the manual, it is not good for using going into a bass amp, and if you do, the only way to get a good sound is to go into the effects return, bypassing the preamp. It is best for recording, but can be GREAT live, if you use it correctly. And that is the key - you have to use it as it was designed to be used, not as an effects unit in front of an amp, but as an amp modeller/DI.
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think amp modeling has some way to go, at least in the price range of the Pod. It's a little noisy and the modeled amps are not quite there yet.
    Maybe the Pod III or IV is worth buying when there's enough cheap processing power available for the 300$ price range.
    Maybe with 2 or more SHARC DSP like in the Creamware Pulsar cards or the Hughes&Kettner Zentera it might sound really good, but that would make it too expensive.
  12. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yup! I learned that the hard way. Lucky thing I was able to get what I paid for it on trade.

When I bought it, I knew very little, except that there was a lot of buzz about it and I let the salesperson talk me into it. Had the guy listened to my needs and knew what he was selling, he would've never shown it to me.

I will say, however, that there were some really cool tones in it!
  13. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    It's beyond cool! I use it to front a Qsc 350 watt stereo power amp. The model I use most is the Acoustic 360 (Jaco) model. Nice low mids and definition for my Warwick. The effects are musical for the most part, although I didn't like the Boss OC-2 model. Not enough heft. So I have the original on my pedal board. I would suggest the Pod Pro for the rack mounts- much more roadworthy. I play 2x a weekend in a cover band and this unit can basically dupe any bass sound ever recorded.
  14. to everyone for the great feedback, I've decided to take a pass for now. I really only need a nice chorus here and there and possibly some odd effects. I really don't want to change my basic tone...