Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Pod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist4ever, May 16, 2002.

1. is the bass pod (little one not the pro) considered a preamp??? im wanting to build a rack rig so any help would be much appreciated... and you would save me a few hundred dollers...

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    although it's possible to consider the pod a preamp (in the sense that it's the tone shaping front of your signal without any power to drive speakers), I'd highly recommend not using it for that porpoise (or other sea mammal). It's really best used for recording or low volume practice (as in: by yourself with headphones) and I personally think it sounds like poop. In my opinion, it's nowhere near as usable as the guitar pod. You'd be much better off getting an actual preamp if that's what you're looking for. there are tons of them out there in a variety of prices. Just keep in mind that a preamp needs a power amp to actually drive speakers.

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I agree. I've tried both the POD and the PODPro, and i think that they are both ugly little boxes with a big advertising pitch behind them. But that is just my opinion, play one, if you like it Great! If not, keep looking. What'll it hurt to look and ask opinions?

Stu

4. Stubi and corinpills
    can you tell mewhat would be a good preamp for under 350 americana?

5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Ahh, jeez, I'm not the guy to ask. My setup is getting more and more caveman every day. It's been 10 years since I had a preamp and poweramp (and I recall something about 10" speakers back then as well)....I'm afraid the mists of time have not been kind to my memory. I will say that Ashly (great name... oh, yeah, that's my last name) used to make some pretty solid cheap preamps, but I bet other people will know of some solar powered hifi all titanium preamps that have their own eco system. I use an Ashdown head right now and I think the preamp section sounds great- just a little 12AX7 tube pumping along there, but that might be a bit too expensive.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I thought I was the only one who didn't like the sound! I've used it as an effects box live, but as a direct box I haven't gotten a good sound out of it.

7. I agree with corinpills. The guitar one is much better at its job than the bass one. Preamps are made by Ampeg, SWR, Raven, Aguilar, Peavey, Alembic, GK, and many others.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Is "AMERICANA" Oklahoman for "American"?:D

Man, I dont know. I almost hate the preamp in my Ampeg, thats why I tried the POD. I'd like to try the MXR Bass DI though. I think that they're under $200, stompbox, etc, etc... Are there GC's in Ok? If so, go try some out. Carry your bass if possible.

Let us know what happens.

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I disagree with all you guys. I've used the Bass Pod extensively on gigs as a preamp going straight into a power amp. It works great. Sounds awesome (if you know how to use it). In 26 years of playing, and using many different amps, I've NEVER had a better sound. Try it and see for yourself.

Here I am using it:
    [​IMG]

10. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    If you use it as a effects box then no wonder you never got a good sound out of it. The Bass Pod is an amp modeller, not a multi-effects unit. The effects on the Bass Pod are average at best, but the amp models are great.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I second the notion that, as a modeler, it's fine. But, anything else, you'll end up being disappointed. I bought one, played with it for a few weeks, and returned it.

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    What I meant by "effects" included the amp modeling. Granted I used it through a PA, not a bass amp. I haven't done any serious recording with it but when I've plugged it into a mixer and listened with headphones I didn't like the sounds. Took too much life out of the bass it seemed. I think my expectations were too high - that I could plug into it and get great SVT, SWR, Eden, etc etc sounds right away.

13. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't know if you are talking about the factory presets, but they are terrible, completely unusable. I can see where you wouldn't like it if that is all you used. But if you think of each amp model as an actual amp, and tweak the controls as you would on an actual amp, you can get some great sounds on your own. And if you don't overuse the compressor, which isn't very good, IMO. Then when you've found the sound you like, save it as your own preset. I use the "Eighties" model and the "Tube Preamp" model, almost always without effects, except a touch of compression, and they sound great. Lately I've been going through the PA (on an unused power amp within my PA head, then into my bass cabinet), so I don't have to carry my heavy power amp just for the bass, and it sounds great. People (including other bass players) always comment on how good my bass sounds.

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I had a Bass POD Pro for about 6 months there and hated it! I was fooled by the advertising hype into thinking it was more than it was. Yes, you can use it as a preamp - one of the models is a tube preamp! The effects are average at best (I exoected them to be better, but it is mostly an amp modeller). The amp models, well to be honest I don't really know my vintage amp sounds, so I didn't really get on with it.

When we tried to re-amp bass lines that I'd put down, we found very little change in the sound at best - but I used my Spector to record and the sound was real nice to start with!.

I consider myself lucky in that the store offered me a full refund on it after 6 months when I traded it against my MIM Jazz fretless and Boss GT-6B.

Now the GT-6B - that's an effects unit (also it does some amp modelling!

On a side note I agree that the guitar POD is probably a more versatile unit, my friend has one and on guitar the POD does make a big difference!

15. Funny, I've been using my Pod as a preamp and it's working wonderfully and I love the sound. I guess the trick is to not tell your Pod it isn't a preamp and it'll never know.

16. I have had a BassPod for 6 months......well actually for 5 months as it has been in the shop for the last month....
    I called to find out what was wrong & they told me the Motherboard was fried!!
    So reliability is a REAL concern!!
    As to the effects.......below average especially if u want to get your Bootsy on...
    But i did like the Amp modelling.........but it still felt plastic to me....once i get it back I will be trading it in for whatever I can get......

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I know, the Mu-Tron patch was such a disappointment! I wonder how they could let it out the door sounding like that?