Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass pod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thumb master, Nov 3, 2002.

1. thumb master

thumb master

Nov 2, 2002
    is the bass pod worth spending the 350 some dollars

2. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    It has been for me. You'll probably want to tweak the presets to your taste but, all in all, I am very happy with the product.

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Keep saving and buy the Bass Pod Pro, worth every stinking cent.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It depends on what you're planning on using it for. If you're heavy into recording, then you might find it very useful. Otherwise, perhaps not...

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I agree...if you want to use either POD in a live situation...then you have to get either the basic or deluxe foot controller if you want to change in between songs.

I recommend either the Digitech BP200 or the new Digitech BNX3. I have the BP200 now, and it's smoking, can't wait for the new one!

6. What features does the Bass Pod Pro have that make it significantly better?

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Be warned. Even with the foot switch, when you change channels, there's about a quarter-second delay where there's no sound at all...And some of the effects are terrible (octave down, bass synth, Sustain + flanger). I have one, and although the effects work well for the most part, it's a royal pain to try and get a decent clean tone through the thing. I'm selling mine to a friend this weekend. I originally bought it slightly used for $250, including the basic foot controller...And I'd be upset if I'd dropped $350 plus $60 for the switch. It's a fun toy, but I haven't yet seen it do enough things well enough to be worth that much.

They're fun to play with, but I'd say try one out before you buy...For me, it's better to dump the Pod and buy the three effects on there I use, and pick up a good amp.

Good for recording, I've heard, but probably not so good in a live setting.

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I've played out twice a weekend with the BPP ever since it came out and have left audiences with nothing but slack-jawed drool over this units versatility. I use basically one amp setting(acoustic 360) and use the FB4 footswitch for switching effects added to the main clean sound. There is no "dropout" as mentioned earlier, but there is about a tenth of a second "effect" switch when you switch from one effect to the other. But with practice this is something you can handle. The only thing its missing is stereo outs. People that dismiss this unit just haven't spent the time to put it through its paces, and that takes a long time!!

9. All I can do is say how much I love my POD because I got mine for free!!! My neighbor is freakin Michelle Diodic (co-owner of Line6). Ok, enough of me being an ass. I love it, it has everything I could ever want, although I still need the foot switcher. I love all of the effects and amp models, I still have not gone through all of them, plus, every effect is tweakable to the enth degree. Go for it, and if you can, get the pro model.

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    For recording purposes, I reckon it's pretty good, for stage use, and amp modelling I couldn't tell you - I don't know what a lot of those amps sounded like anyway. The effects suck - my personal opinion.

I took my POD Pro back and traded it in for a Boss GT-6B and a Fender Jazz Fretless (MIM). I was looking for a multi effects unit - the POD isn't one, I learned my lesson.

However, for recording the Pro seemed to have potential.

11. dgblkbelt

dgblkbelt

Oct 5, 2002
    I've got a POD with carry bag for $230 shipped or a POD pro for $425 shipped. Both are in good condition, I just don't play with them anymore.

email dbg22@cornell.edu if you are interested.

12. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

14. Well that does not mean that the effects suck, that just means that they simply did not fit what you were looking for. It's like me saying that Fender Jazz basses suck only because I bought one but was looking to get a P-bass sound. The effects are great, if that is what you are looking for, you were not looking for that, no reason to say they suck.

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Please go back to my original post! Read the bit that says '- my personal opinion'. I thank you!

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    1. Rack mount
    2. Dual outs so you can have a DI and a modeled out. Live, you can also send one signal to a power amp and cabinet that has no speaker modeling and a different direct signal to the board that does model a miced cabinet.
    3. XLR outs.
    4. AES/EBU and SPDIF digital outputs for use in direct digital recording
    5. Mono pre and post effect loops so you can use other preamps or effects if you want.
    6. Line level input so you can actually re-model a track already on tape.

I am also unsure if the regular POD has 24-bit processing. It may be the case that it does not, as the above mentioned silence doesn't happened with my Pro.

Chas

17. I appologize, I was wrong, I missed where you had said that.

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

No problems good buddy! Something I've noticed on threads about the POD - people either seem to love it or hate it! Nobody seems to come away with - it's just OK!:)

I'm in the camp that got the wrong tool for the job - my mistake!:)

19. tonru

tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    would you recommend the standard POD to someone who's exploring their options?
    i,m a new player who will soon be moving into a studio apartment.basically,i'd like to use it for practice,a shopping tool for the full size amp i want,and a possible recording amp.
    thanks for any input.

20. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I'd recommend Pod in general, just not for $350.

It is very very fun to play with and test out lots of different sounds and effects, for comparitively little cash.