Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass PODxt "effects" quality (and lack of firmware updates)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PhilMan99, Apr 30, 2005.

1. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've read everything I could find here, on Bass Player's forum and Harmony Central about the Bass PODxt & the GT-6B.

I'm leaning toward the PODxt, but the one thing that concerns me is the quality of - the effects. I've heard they are not very good, especially when compared with the GT-6B. I see that the regular PODxt has a firmware update, but the firmware update for the Bass PODxt does not seem to be forthcoming...
    ...so I was wondering if anyone had any additional comments about the PODxt quality as it currently exists in the current firmware release (v1.1).

2. My Bass PODxt should be here this week. I'll play with it for a couple of days and let you know what I think.

3. My opinion: the PODxt effects are better than the GT-6B. Even the Boss effects that the PODxt models (chorus and overdrive...IIRC) are better. The Wah is better (modeled on a Vox), there's a Big Muff, Fuzzface, MXR Phaser, ADA (or MXR, can't remember offhand) Flanger, Great compressors, MuTron-based envelope filter, and roughly 64 different voices of synths (with infinite tweaking options) which are all better than Boss.

But, the Line 6 takes more brains than the Boss when starting out. Boss made their "straight out of the box" sounds more usable than the Line 6, whereas the Line 6 requires some significant knob-twiddling and editing to get going. I've had mine for a month and am still building my sounds before I bring it into the fold.

4. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    That's what I'm looking for (opinions)!

5. ceremony74

ceremony74

Sep 27, 2004
    the effects on the Bass Pod XT are ok, except the chorus.