1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass PODxt Live vs. Guitar PODxt live with bass upgrade

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by natedawg5280, Jul 30, 2007.

1. I'm planning on purchasing one mostly for recording, and am wondering which I should go with. I'm a bassplayer first and foremost and will want to use it on my gigs, but I'm going to be recording keys and guitar on it. I've heard weird stuff about direct outputs that I haven't really understood. The only other difference I noted was the Treble/mid/bass vs. Treble/lowmid/highmid/bass..

Advice on which to purchase would be much appreciated. The pros and cons of each etc. I'm also considering just getting the PODxt and not the live, because it looks much more easy to transport. Is the Live a pain in the ass to lug around?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Nate

2. ph0rk

ph0rk

Feb 24, 2007
    the guitar version is more flexible, and can store more patches. It also has stereo outs for stereo effects (pingpong delay, reverb, chorus)

You can't add the mod packs to the bass version, and there are some effects in the fx pack that you may find interesting.

if you'll be gigging with it, I'd check out the pro, instead. Fiddling with the bean is a pain during setup.

Another minor issue is you'll have to get the fbv shortboard at the least, to control either the bean or the pro, the FBV express is lackluster (can change between 4 patches, can't change banks).

I've transitioned back out of using the podxt live, and use a sansamp and other assorted pedals instead - I don't need the stereo effects live, and I ended up using amp sims with no cabinet to get the flexibility the sansamp gives me (within a single model) - I disliked how I could no longer control my own treble with technique.

The stompbox effects are lackluster, too, imho. They lose almost all the low end and often the note definition. The best you can do is mix in your dry signal, but unless you use some sort of preamp before the pod your dry signal may sound very anemic.

Also: many of the guitar amp models sound killer, but you can't mix in the direct signal with them, only with the amp models labeled "bass" - I wanted to mix my clean signal with that of a rectifier about to explode... no dice.

However, for playing guitar... a pod is amazing. I've gone back to my behemoth SKB ps45 for my bass, though. Anyone have any decent velcro? ;)

3. Ok, so you just didn't really like any of the PODs, but you think the guitar + bass would be better then the bass, because the differences are minute?

My main incentive for purchasing this is for recording guitar and bass and keys straight into my computer. Then, I would like it for my gigs. But overall, I need this for recording, and buying stomp boxes seperately would not work for direct recording at all.

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    if you're gonna be direct recording guitar, bass and keys, i would suggest the guitar POD with the bass upgrade, because I think it would be more well rounded for 3 instruments. This differences are minute, like the EQ being only 4 band on the guitar version and the DI blend only on the bass amps (I didn't realize that was the case until Phorks post, I thought that there was no DI blend at all)

I would recomend getting the PRO, just for the pad switch, just in case you have vastly different instrument output levels

5. Wait..
    I'm looking at the 'Live' which has tons of footswitches. Are you guys thinking of a different product?

Does the live not have DI Blend and what does DI Blend even mean?

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    There is the bean version:

[​IMG]

Live:

Line6_podxt_pedal.

And PRO:

[​IMG]

There all also regular (guitar) and bass versions of each. The guitar versions have only a 4 band extra eq section (beyond that of the amp models) wheras the bass versions have 6 bands. I thought that the guitar versions (with or without the bass expansion) had no DI blend, but according to ph0rk, only the amps included in the bass expansion have a DI blend.

7. Ok, thanks for the explanation. What is the pad switch though?

And what does DI Blend mean?

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    When pad switch is on it lower the input gain into the pedal so you don't distort everything with high output basses. In the off position it doesn't lower the bass volume at all, this is better for normal to lower output basses. A similar effect can be had by adjusting the volume on the high-output bass, though not as effective.

It mixes your clean bass signal with the effects from the pedal so you have a clearer sounding signal with full bottom end. A DI output is the XLR connection that runs from the pedal, to say a mixer or "board" at the front of the house where you're playing. Like a line out, but balanced.

9. ph0rk

ph0rk

Feb 24, 2007

Stomp boxes are fine for direct recording.. through your pod :)

The differences, for bass, between a bass pod and a guitar pod with bass pack are minute. The differences for a guitar and/or keyboard are much bigger. Its a nice cab/amp sim. The effects are lackluster, though, and if you want to change effects in the middle of a song, you'll either need an expensive floorboard addon, the live (floor pedal version), or external regular effects pedals run into a pod.

And no, I didn't like the pod all that much for bass, ultimately. It isn't terrible, but it just wasn't clearly better than my sansamp for amp sim/DI, and clearly much worse for stompbox effects than real stompboxes. (all of which will work reasonably well for keys and guitar, depending on the pedal).

A bean pod with all xpacks runs around $500 ($400 with just the bass pack). It's not $500 worth of sound, for bass imho. Its great for guitar, though.

The bass pod, while cheaper than guitar pod + bass pack ($300), would be non-upgradeable.

Another option might be some sort of DI (sansamp, mxr, etc) and a line6 guitarport ($99) for recording.

edit: the toneport might be even better than the guitarport, for you. $129 or so, and comes with some bass amps/cabs, guitar amp/cabs, and mic preamps, as well as stompboxes, and even has an xlr in for the mic.

10. So using the guitar pod with bass packs at my Big Band gigs, and other shows I do will not be very useful for my bass playing?

I agree it isn't worth the money just for recording, but I plan on doing it for both. I'm also going to shoot for a used copy, + the upgrade so I shouldn't pay more then 400.

11. ph0rk

ph0rk

Feb 24, 2007
    I wouldn't say not very useful, I'd say unflexible.

If you're looking for used, i'd shoot for the live version if possible, so you can stomp effects off and on, etc, when gigging (the live version is $400 new). Though, if you think all you'd ever do is queue up a patch w/ effects and leave it, a bean will do fine.

In your original post you said you'd use it mainly for recording, and if that is truly the case, you can save yourself a heap of cash by looking at the toneport ($129), and picking up a used DI for gigging ($100).

Which is, essentially, what I'd do if i had to do it over again. The pod gets me nothing over what I can do with a toneport in my home.

12. Ok, thanks for the advice so far.

I believe I'm goign to purchase a used guitar podxt live. Then buy the bass expansion packs. :)