Bass Podxt Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by daveze, Oct 22, 2003.

1. I'm wondering if anybody has tried it, and preferably, also what you thought of it?

I'm considering upgrading from my 30W combo to something with a little more guts, a bit more oomph if you will. I use a 400W Peavey something with a 15" at church but its not mine nor is it that good, because the cab is too small for the speaker, way too small.

I'd be looking at using it as a preamp, using it as a modeller mostly but also for a little bit of effects (not a huge fan of effects but used sparingly they're good). How good is it as a modeller? I'd be looking at using it because currently I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of preamps (they're expensive as all heck and need to be ordered to be anywhere near me), so I'm looking for variety of tones that are good rather than perfect replication of something I don't know I want.

A guitarist friend of mine praises the guitar version quite highly, so I'm thinking if its anywhere near as good as the guitar one is I'll be pretty well stoked as well.

I would probly end up teaming it up with a poweramp of some descript (possibly one of the Proaudio numbers) and single 18" and 4x10" cabs, for what its worth. But at this stage I'm just scoping options and budgets and things like that.

Josh D
  2. An after thought:

If the POD isn't all its cracked up to be, is there one that is? Or any recommendations for a fellow just getting into the pre/power rig world? I was chatting with my soundguy and he's making himself a poweramp for home use, so that got me intrigued, as a result I've decided I'm doing a subject in electrical engineering next semester.

Josh D
  3. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    You're gonna get a lot of opinions on this one. In my opinion bass players either love it or hate it. Most people I have talked to hate it either because of incorrectly setting it up or expecting it to be a "save all" and do things it's not capable of doing.
    If you are looking for a stand alone pre to be used with a power amp and also need a unit for studio work I would say the Bass POD is your item. You need to be aware though that it's an emulator will not make your (insert speaker cab of choice here) sound exactly like an Acoustic 360, Ampeg 8x10, etc..... but it will give you some highly tunable tones to pick from. Since you're not relying much on effects I say that's a good thing. The POD has very limited effects. Also prepare yourself for some serious reading and trial/error when using this unit and setting it up before finally finding something you like. In my opinion it's a complicated unit...then again I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    Bottom line:
    If you want a preamp to use with a dedicated power amp and/or a great and versatile DI unit for studio work I would say go for it. If you're wanting (insert amp sound of choice here) then buy that amp.:bassist:
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I agree with razor. I like 'toys', but like you Josh "not a huge fan of effects but used sparingly they're good". I think the pod or pro seem more suited for recording applications. I tried the old pro, but didn't get into all the effects. I only really liked one "sub-dub" and that was with good headphones. yes, many people probably set it up wrong like running the cab simulation for a 412 setting through a 210 and say "it doesn't make my 210 sound like a 412?" well duh!

anyway I tried several other effects other than the pod pro, like a reverb/delay, chorus, zoom 506, bass compactor. only the bass compactor (simple compressor) was close to being useful because it compressed the signal and brought out more rich tones from my bass. I eventually got rid of that in favor of a Tech21 RBI (big brother to BDDI) see It is a preamp with the 'sansamp' tone circuitry which can be blended with the bass signal giving you a rounder smoother, some say tubey sound. I HAVE FOUND THIS THE MOST USEFUL PIECE OF EXTERNAL EQUIPMENT NEXT TO MY TUNER!!!