1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass PODxt reliability / alternatives ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigBeatNut, May 4, 2010.

1. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I have reliability issues with my Bass PODxt. Particularly in a live context.

It's now 3 or 4 times in the last 3 or 4 years (twice in the last 6 months) that the PODxt has died on me. By 'died' I mean that I power it up, and get a lit-up, but blank, screen. I've used the line6 forums (same thing as support) and tried the various answers. I always get it back working again, but it usually requires several hours of messing around with a compputer and repeatedly (like, maybe 20 times last night) reloading the firmware drivers.

Also (minor thing) the PODxt is extremely sensitive to power supply fluctuations. I once did a whole set where the POD repeatedly cut out and came back. During the first break, traced the problem to my power coming from a socket near the drummers hi-hat foot. Every time he hit the floor hard, there was a small interrruption to power which caused the POD to re-boot.

First, Am I the only one with these problems ? The Line6 forums suggest not, but I can't find it being discussed here.

Second are there any alternatives to the PODxt ... which for me means 3 or 4 switchable channels with different EQ and differing valve emulations ? I'm thinking along the lines of a Sansamp programmable Bass driver, but I'm not happy about saving into a memory and then not being able to 'see' what I saved e.g. how much 'drive' selected on preset 3.

Ideas ? Thoughts ?

Andy

2. Sorry to hear about this Man. I have one as well no problems so far, (knock on wood). Could it just be it may need a new power supply? It might be something that simple. Send it to Line 6 they're usually pretty good about customer service.
    Brent

3. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I don't think the blank screen is a power supply issue. I have two (one in the gig bag, the other permanently wired in at home) and when it does go wrong I get the same symptoms with both. The re-boot-on-power-interrupt could be a power supply thing ... but that's of less concern to me because it is avoidable (now I know what it is). It's just that with the two issues together, I'm thinking, "Do I really want to rely on this piece of kit at a gig, or can I get something that's more robust and still meets my needs ?"

4. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Any ideas on alternatives, then ?

5. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Sansamp programmable is nice but the pod just does more for the money. Ever try an X3 live?

6. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Never tried one, but for my situation, just too big ... I'm lucky if I get that much floor space.

At the moment, gigging with just one bass, I can just about get away with a Sansamp BDDI (two sounds, on and off). My current setup uses PODxt (on top of the amp) and a midi mouse pedal on the floor.

If I start gigging with two basses (foreseeable), I'm going to need 3 or 4 switchable sounds.

So really, If I wanted to replace the PODxt it would either be an X3 (kidney bean version) or something like Sansamp programmable/deluxe ... I don't think I'd miss the effects in the POD ... fun to play with, but for me almost zero use live. Possible exception being the compressor.

7. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I've just spent another hour recovering my PODxt to working condition. Must have reloaded the drivers 4 or 5 times before it came back to life.

It failed to power up properly at the gig, so I resorted to my backup (Sansamp BDDI).

8. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    What are the settings you use?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    holy cow! that sounds like no fun.

i just got a vt deluxe and it rocks. the lights for the knobs are a little odd at first but they work as long as you know what to look for. it helps if you have your settings memorized. not quite as tweakable onstage as the other one, but once you get settings you like you shouldn't have to do much tweaking anyway.

10. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I would just buy a new one and try it. My guess is Line 6 can't find what's wrong with it and sends you the same one back...something like that.

Buy a new one from somewhere with a good return policy. Load it up, try it out. Trying to mess with the same one over and over and over is going to lead you nowhere.

Get a new one. Verify it works. Then go from there.

11. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    :confused:
    We fit drums, keyboard/guitarist, other guitarist, and lead singer in the corner of a room or on the SMALL back deck of a yacht. We've had gigs where my XTLive is almost next to the kick drum and under mounted toms and still usable.

BTW, my experience with both plastic pods shows them to not like road use due to circuitry design(pots on PCB + a little weight on them = FAIL).

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
  13. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Seriously thinking about one of those right now.

I frequently play at place where there is no room to move, literally, because I'm hemmed in to a little corner. Okay, maybe my feet could move forward and back two inches. In those cases I set the sansamp, and leave it untouched, next to the amp, for the whole gig. or put the POD on the amp and change settings by hand, versus pedal. I think I win for cramped gigs :)

14. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Aha ! So what kind of failure do you get ... and non-functioning pot ? Or something different ?

Andy

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you like the Pod and all it offers, get an X3. But if you don't use effects - save for compression, get a Sansamp product and a compressor pedal and call it good.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if you're an ampeg fan, you'll love it. if you're not, you probably won't. fortunately i am ;)

17. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Don't beleive it ... happened again.

Sunday 6:00 ish, I'm A/Bing the Sansamp BDDI and the POD, trying to get the sansamp as close as I can to the PodXT, so I feel happy gigging with it and leave the Pod at home.

While doing that, the sansamp sputters, then dies (no, not battery, tried that, and running it off the power supply).

So I go to my gig with the POD instead.

Get home from the gig ... I suspect the the POD took a bit of a bump when I dropped the handle on my gear trolley ... so I plug in the Pod to check it out ... and that's gone as well ... in the usual fashion, blank screen on startup.

Reflashed it (I'm getting good at this) so the Pod is working again but I need to find someone to repair my sansamp.

Beginning to think somebody up there has it in for me.

Andy