Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass PODXT... very cool

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 18, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just got this unit 2 days ago, but I am really enjoying it. I use it to drive my poweramp (Focus SA), and it has more features than you can shake a stick at. And you can tweak the hell out of each feature.

I have used it once live with my band but mostly with headphones. So far I am really liking the Hiwat 200. Its so clean! I've always loved that Entwistle sound and this gets me closer. I also like the califorinia/ mesa 400+ and the studio tone/sm 500.

I think, to keep things from getting too complicated, its best to zone in on just a couple of the amp models otherwise the endless possibilities can be distracting.

I also prefer to turn off the cab modelling. I already have good cabs (EA and schroeder) so i dont want to mess with their sound.

I am not much of an effects guy, but the analog chorus and fuzz bass effects will be useful. I wouldnt bother with most of the rest... except for foolin' with.

I initially bought this unit because I need to switch from fingers to pick (but not have the "click" of the pick) instantly during gigs with out a bunch button and knob twiddling. It does that and a whole lot more. Of course, there is much twiddling to do when programming it.

I wish the manual had an index. I think I am going to put together a "cheat sheet" that explains how to perform the steps for the features I use. I think that will simplify the pod a bit for me. This thing can get mighty complicated if you let it.

I have gone thru about 8 preamps trying to find one that meets all my needs (light, instant channel switching etc) and I wish I would have bought the bass podxt sooner.

Any other Bass POD users care to share their experiences?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I also use mine as a preamp to feed a power amp. The best deal I have found is the FBV2 '2 button footswitch' for $30 from Musicians Friend (with 15' cable). It lets you walk up/down between 4 presets (like 1a-1b-1c-1d). I set every other one as a 'boost' setting and use it for solos. You could just as easily change eq for your finger/pick switching. I don't use most of the tricks in it, and in fact I usually dump about 1/2 - 2/3 of the programs right off.

3. 8 Preamps? - I don't know why people slag the bodxt off, its a brill little kidney bean, as you seem to have found out!

I love mine - I've got some patches I've made and I like 'em:

Abbey Road - tweaked with Fuzz-face for the "Mean Mr Mustard" sound

Jaco - never use it, but why not have it?

Jamerson - now this is brill...B-15, "fliptop" cab, bass up full and treble at 3 o'clock, PERFECT jamerson sound (people reckon you NEED flatwounds on your P for the sound...they refuse to try this setting, they'd be pretty surprised by it!)

Macca 65 - vox head with loads of bass/low mids, whichever cab sounds deepest out of 'em all (the vox cab doesn't quite do it for me...)...and fuzz-face if I need it

...theres a couple of others I've got, but I'm not divulging anything coz I use them for my own secret weapon for recording and stuff...

It is brill for recording, I recorded some stuff for my mate on his uni project and he LOVED it...a guitarist went in after me and used the BASS pod too...great unit for either really!

4. I've got the original bass pod and have had it for about 2 - 3 years. It does what I need it to and sounds pretty good through my PA or into my Nemesis NC115, although I usually go direct into the Nemesis. It also works well with recording. I really like the Adam & Eve and the California amp models.
    I'm still learning about the different things it does and am constantly impressed.
    I was a bit ticked when the bass pod xt came out a few weeks after I bought the bass pod but I've been so happy with it that there is no need to upgrade.
    Sometimes it does sound like there is a blanket over the speaker, kind of muffled but with a bit of tweaking, it can get brightened up.

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Enlightening.

While im more a fan of owning the "real" equipment (i.e. tube amps, tube pre, nice cabs), i can think of a dozen situations where just a power amp, my cabs and the XT would come in handy.

Thoughts keep rolling.. hmm....