Bass Poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeterJ405, Sep 21, 2002.

1. MTD Kingston 5

23 vote(s)
  2. MTD Kingston Heir 5

40 vote(s)
  3. Ibanez Soungear models

8 vote(s)
  4. Ibanez BTB models

32 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterJ405

Sep 21, 2002
    Pick which bass you would get if u could spend 500 or 600 dollars.
  2. Either one of the MTDs (but considering I've never played one before, I can't quite say) or an Ibanez BTB 6 string. Only because it's an inexpensive, and fairly decent 6 string for my first one, with a possibility of holding it's resale value (at least on ebay :rolleyes: )

Hell no on the soundgears.
  3. I would go with one of the MTD's as well. I just never have liked the look/feel of the cheaper BTB's. Love the higher series (500 and 1000), but those are a bit out of your price range. The MTD's are well built and very upgradeable. IMHO.

4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Why so little options? You can do better than 2 MTD's and 2 Ibanezes.

Out of those though, the only one I have played is a soundgear... so my opinion isn't really valid.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    5 to 6 bones, eh? Weeeelllll, I might go MIA P, a used MIA Jazz, used 55-01, used Grendal, used Corvette, or MIM Jazz Delux. Sorry to go off subject, but I'm not into the basses listed.
  6. I'd go with the Kingston or Heir, you can't really go wrong with them. But if you look hard enough, you *might* be able to find a Sting Ray 5 for 600. But yes, my vote is for either MTD.
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I would go for the mtd. had a soundgear for 6 weeks then sold it, pups totally lacked character and just sounded like this- blah blah blah, blah blah blah, plink plink plink.
  8. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    The Kingston or Heir. The reviews of these basses here at TB are becoming legendary.
  9. PeterJ405

Sep 21, 2002
    thanks for ur votes
  10. Man this is cool, I've been thinking of getting a 5 in that price range (don't tell my wife, or I'm a dead man). In doing a search on the MTD Kingstons, they seem to be and excellent bass in that price range. Bass Central has a used one for $350 right now.
  11. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Kingston? Nah.
    Soundgear? No.
    These two choise, I tried. Didn't suit me.

So perhaps one of the other. Or something completely different...
  12. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    One of the MTD's.
  13. Heir 5. I bought one. Love it. I've never liked Ibanez.
  14. I would definitly go with the Heir. I have one, and it's great. Honestly, I'd say it's the best bass I've ever played. The sound is phenominal, any sound i want. The neck is incredible, too. When I first got it, I played for two and a half hours, and my hand wasn't sore at all, just a little bit tired. I've never played a BTB 5, but the BTB 4 I played was nice.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I loved the Kingston 5 I tried: great tone, played like buttah.
  16. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Id look for a used Lakalnd 55-01, they should be around that price.

Id also look into the MIM Jazz Dlx by Fender.

Im not a big fan on the kingstons, or soundgears.

For 6 bills though the BTB 6 wouldnt be that bad of a bass. Ive thought about getting one for my 1st 6, but Id have to put a set of Bartolinis and different eq in it to make it sound a bit better.
  17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    every low end BTB i've played had a very harsh sounding preamp in it. i think you can tweak them internally but i'm not 100% certain... ($.01)

i'll also give my vote to the skyline 55-01. save an extra hundred bucks and go new. for the money, you can't do much better... ($.01)
  18. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    I haven't had the oppurtunity to play any of the MTD's before, but they must sound nice.
    Although, I have played the BTB(505 and 1005 models or somethin like that) and they are really nice. I definitely played a 5 and it had the bartolini pickup, monorail bridge, and it was just all around cool. I like the BTB's a bunch.

Now I wanna run out and try a MTD bass....soo many basses to play, so little time.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :D
  19. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    I'm a big fan of the soundgear 800s.
    IMO it's a quality instrument.

I would avoid the lower end soundgears though. These are not even close to the 800s.