bass position affect fret hand???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ToxBass, Feb 3, 2003.

1. ToxBass

Feb 3, 2003
    Monroe, LA
    Hi yall, recently I upped my strap on my bass, bringing the bass a lot higher to my chest, for reasons of me having to play a lot higher on the fret board. Recently, I have found my fret hand cramping up, mainly in the palm, when playing lower on the fret board, mainly from the fifth fret and going lower. Is this due to me changing my bass's position, indirectly changing my fret hand's position? Or is this just my hand and arm getting use to the adjustment and it will soon fade away?
  2. both.. every different position poses differen't pros and cons.. and if you play a different position, you're going to build the muscles and be able to do that position all the time. Happy bassin'.
  3. Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    try to keep the angle between your forearm, wrist and back of the hand as flat as you can to avoid wrist injuries and cramping. if your strap height prevents this, lower or raise the strap until it doesn't . . .
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    My fore arm started cramping up when I raised my bass about 2 inches. I returned to the lower position and the cramping went away. Guess where my bass is staying?