Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass->Pre Amp->PA amp->hi fi speaker cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nunk6, Dec 6, 2000.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    basically i would like to know if anyone uses/ or has used hi-fi speaker cabinets; or any information on using these thanks

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I think the cone suspension and the motors for Hi-Fi drivers are not designed for a bass heavy signal. I have used my Bag End subwoofer system with my home theater system with exelent results. If your intention is to use your stereo as a practice amp (low volume) I would suggest using garage sale speakers.

3. I have used Hi Fi speakers for practicing at lower volumes. But I use P A speakers with the setup you outlined for playing gigs. Bass guitar speakers are very effecient and produce sounds more suitible for bass guitars so this is the best choice for playing at loud volumes.

4. Skip

Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY
    Many of the full range hi-fi speakers can deliver the necessary bass - but they're not cheap and you need a lot of them. Bag End makes very good listening subwoofers, so its not surprising that yours goes well with your HT set-up.

Most listening speakers are made to be played in smaller, deader rooms than performing speakers are. The added room interactions add a good deal of reinforcement to the bass. They are also remarkably inefficient compared to most of the cabs you are used to. Trying to get the level you are used to can overpower the speaker and blow it up. So I agree with the garage sale comment.

Several of the high-end woofer manufacturers sell to third parties. Here is one. They make the drivers for JMlab speakers - though I don't know if they sell in small quantities.

I've always wanted to hear a bass through a really high-end set-up.

Something like the bass into a direct box into a Mark Levinson (the company) No. 32 Reference preamp and then on to a No. 33 Reference amp. Rated at 300W @ 8ohms, 600@4, 1200@2, and 2400 Watts at 1 ohm, for 0.03% THD, the 33 can drive pretty much anything (if you have a 30 Amp outlet).

Add speakers like B&W 801s (1x15), JMlabs Grand Utopias (1x11 & 1x15), Thiel 7.2s (1x7 & 1x12), or Revel Salons (3x8) and Cardas cabling throughout and the sound you hear is the sound of your bass (which you may or may not like). :)

[Edited by Skip on 12-08-2000 at 10:24 AM]