Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Pre into Guitar Power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gazman_res, Aug 17, 2004.

1. ello..

I just had a quick question.

Could you run a bass preamp into a guitar tube poweramp?

For example Ampeg SVP-Pro into Mesa Boogie Rectifier Stereo 2:100, then into some bass cabs?

Or are guitar power amps strictly for guitar?

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Good power is good power - it doesn't matter what the intended use of an amp is.

That said the difference between good power for bass and bad is how quickly it responds on the low end as that is where the mettle of an amp will be tested. Liken it to a saw that binds in a piece of wood and is slowed down - it takes a bit of time for it to get back up to full speed. A good saw is back at speed very rapidly - so too is a good power amp.

By their nature tubes have a slower recovery time, but that is also part of their charm. Solid state power is usually the preference and tubes are more often found on the pre side where huge amounts of power aren't required.

Short answer is it will work just fine as long as your cabs are bass capable. There may be better solutions, but I would be curious to know how well it works - I like the idea.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It will certainly work. How well is up to you to decide.

As far as the low end goes...it depends on what Randy Smith had in mind when he designed the amp, spec'd the power and output transformers, etc.

If you're really concerned about the numbers (frequency response, etc.) a quick call/email, etc. to Mesa should address that.

All in all, it comes down to whether it sounds good to you and does what you want it to do...

Have fun!!!

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah it will work fine - i love running into my pal's 100 watt plexi head into my cabs - a very evil tone

5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Assuming the sound and tone is favorable...

What configurations of cabs will say a 100 watt tube amp be enough for? Let's assume average efficiency and loud enough for a small-medium club. Or do we have to get into power handling of cabs?

In general though, could an average 2x10 get pretty loud with 100 watts from a tube amp? How about a 4x10? Just curious as I recently bought a Peavey Classic 50/50 for my rhythm player. And it sounds awesome. But darnit, if I can use it, IT'S MINE AGAIN! :ninja: :bassist: :spit:

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My college bass rig was a Marshall Major head (200 watts of 4 x KT88 goodness) through an EV SRO 15 loaded 2x15. It was loud enough to wake the dead from quite a distance. I rarely turned it up too much.

My guess is that 100 tube watts through a 2x10 would be hard to ignore! :D :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

7. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I seem to remember BS mentioning that the Mesa guitar tube power amps didn't work well for bass.

8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think 100 tube watts from my Peavey 50/50 through the almighty ProClassic 2x10 is going to make for a great experiment. Yeah!!!

(BTW BillyB, pretty awesome cab...well made! Like the tolex on it MUCH better than the Ampeg. The more effective handles are a nice and welcome touch. Not as super-dark sounding as the Ampeg. Projects way better. The feet are awesome. Especially the side ones for standing vertically. All in all, I'm selling the Ampeg Pro 2x10 and keeping the ProClassic. Once again, thanks and great job!)

Apologies...resume thread!

If my Ampeg B5R @ 350watts could get my old 4x10 loud enough for all the gigs I did the last 2 years, a 100 watts from a tube amp should be...enough? Maybe? Eh? :eyebrow:

-T