1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Preamp Pedal Tubes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by howlin, Nov 19, 2017.

1. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    I got one of these. So far it sucks. Why does it suck? Well, it seems to amplify the worst of my two basses [a P with EMG-GZR p/u's & a Chinese made Dano Longhorn] qualities. I can't say that it's all the pedal's fault, after all the Dano is what it is, but I would have thought it would have more than one good setting which seems to be with everything turned up to 10 and the master volume attenuated for taste.

Plus, it does something weird in that when I turn the treble control all the way off it gets much louder. Is that an indication of something good? Bad?

Before I give up on it completely I thought I'd try a different tube. It comes with an unidentified 12ax7:
    20171119-181809.JPG
    Anyone out there care to make an educated guess as to what it might be?

Just for snickers here are the guts of this thing:
    20171119-181717.JPG
    Along the left side you can see the Hi/Low switch. The knobless control is the master volume [very inconvenient to get to].

Plus the input & output are backwards IMO:
    20171119-181505.JPG
    The "Deep" switch seems to actually thin out the sound. I would have thought it would be the opposite . . . Oh well, live & burn [cash]. :D

2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Sorry no idea what the tube is, but I'd try any 12ax7, maybe a JJ, thy are cheap and easy to find.

Did it come with a power supply? 12vac and probably has a huge power draw.

I love tube preamps.......I'll take it...:)

blindrabbit likes this.
  3. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    Yeah, I was thinking of putting a JJ in it.

Yes, it came with a power supply.

Any idea why it gets louder when the treble is turned all the way down?

Depending on how it works out with returning this thing I may end up giving it to some friends. Otherwise, if it wasn't so expensive to ship it to you it would be yours. :thumbsup:

4. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Did you contact the company? No one knows their pedals better.

blindrabbit likes this.
  5. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    ^^
    Yeah, I contacted the company and they [he] only wanted to communicate by phone...!?! With that and a few other things I sent it back. With customs, shipping, etc. I only lost $67. Oh well, maybe I don't really need a preamp after all. :D