Bass preamp poll: knob configuration?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ostinato, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Stack pan/volume, treble, mid, bass

30 vote(s)
  2. Volume, pan, treble, stack mid/bass

24 vote(s)
  3. Drill the extra hole and go 5 inline

25 vote(s)
  4. Other - comment below

18 vote(s)
  1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I hope everybody enjoyed their long weekend, I know I did :p

Anyway, if you were going to put a 3 band preamp into a bass with room for 4 controls, how would you like it set up?
  2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    The onboard pre is a Demeter BEQP-1. Any input would be appreciated.
  3. I actually prefer the setup of the 5-knob + 1 switch setup of the Bartolini NTMB.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you want to get away from drilling, do a dual bass/treb, and separate mid, volume and pan. If you need a switch, put a push/pull switch on the volume.
  5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON volume, pan, mid, stack treble/bass...intewesting.
  6. That's basically the config on American Deluxe basses. Check out the Fender site for an idea. IMO everything you need is there in those 4 knobs.
  7. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Yeah thanks. I should really get out tomorrow and check some of Deluxe Fenders out, it's hard to tell from here. ;)
  8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I cannot abide stacked knobs, just drill the sucker.
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You run the risk of hurting the finish with drilling, that is why I try to avoid it. I have a fender american deluxe jazz, and it has that config. It's very easy, and self intuitive.
  10. +1

Lay down some masking tape before you drill... It helps to mostly eliminate blisrering. And go SLOW for God's sake!!! It's not a race!

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Do it the Fender way... Volume, Pan, Treble/Bass, Mid.:bassist:
  12. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Volume, Volume, Treble/Bass, Mid; I don't like blend controls.
  13. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
  14. Interesting to see that all of you are united on one point - the volume control should be closest to your hand position when playing.

But how many of you actually use the instrument volume control during a performance?
  15. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Personally I hate the stacked knobs. I know a lot of you love them but, to me, they just add another thing to mess up.

Volume control during the performance? Thats soundman or the amp being adjusted.
  16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think you left an option out. Both the Zon and the Roscoe have stacked treble and bass, so the mid is separate... either as a push pull for frequency, or a seprate switch.

I actually prefer separate knobs for everything, so on a new/custom, that's the way I'd go.

However, on a retro-fit/upgrade, I'd take the bass/treble stack config as a close second best, and would do this way before I'd ever consider permanent mods to the instrument itself.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Don't drill. I had a Warwick in this config and liked it just fine. My second favorite would be Volume, Pan, Middle, stacked Treble/Bass
  18. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I voted 'Other' in the above poll, as all of the basses I've been building/modding lately that have a 3-band EQ have this config:

Vol (push/pull for active/passive)
    Bass/Treb stacked
    on/on/on toggle for mid frequency (250, 400, 800 Hz)

Depending on the specific p/u('s), I also have coil tap toggles when they are requested. Note that the exception to this is basses thst have a U Retro (Standard or Deluxe) pre-amp.

Drilling additional holes can be done cleanly if you have sharp bits, the right equipment for the job, and are careful while you are working.

19. I voted other.

I would go:
    stacked treble/bass

I have had basses with pan pots as well as duel volume pots. Personally, I don't like duel volume pot config. because if you need to turn down or cut your output on stage but you don't want to mess with your tone at all, it is much easier with a single volume pot.

What kind of bass is it?
  20. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Vol. / Pan / Dedicated Mid / Stacked bass and treble