Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Preamp [schematics]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TonioDOD, Oct 23, 2003.

1. TonioDOD

TonioDOD

Oct 23, 2003
    Hi,

I'm looking for bass preamp schematics.
    Something simple with tone control.

Thanks in advance

2. Look at:
    http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/index.html
    There you can find schematics for bassman or dual showman, which is, I think, the same or very similar circuitry as in the famous Alembic F-2B or F1X. If you're after pure old school Fenderish tone without bell and whistles, that might be your cup of tea.

3. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Other sources for a lot of schematics....

"The Tube Amp Book" by Aspen Pittman, the Groove Tubes guy. Tons of schematics reproduced.
    If you get it used, watch out, the latest one is more than an inch thick, earlier ones are thinner and have lots less info.

For really odd ones, there were two editions of an amplifier servicing book by Jack Darr. I don't remember the name, I still have one somewhere. Published back in the 70's by Howard Sams Publishing if I recall correctly.
    You might find it on a used book sales list. The servicing stuff is kind of funny in spots, since he clearly didn't think much of musicians and problem descriptions.
    But there are a bunch of schmatics of old stuff in it too. I don't know how much overlaps the other, never checked.
    But it includes some solid state stuff.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    There are tons of schematics on the Internet, but I don't have them all book marked. Are you talking onboard preamp or rack preamp?

5. TonioDOD

TonioDOD

Oct 23, 2003
    Rack preamp.

For the moment, I'm using a guitar Vamp box with Tube preamp and cab simulation....

I'm thinking about building a Vamp amp (that could be used for bass also I think)....

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    There is a great site that carries schematics of vintage Ampeg amps. If you want to build a tube preamp, that is a great place to start. There is even a link to it from the schematics page at www.ampeg.com.

Also, if you do a google search on "bass preamp diy", you will come up with a few.