Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Preference Poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, Sep 16, 2005.

Which Would You Choose

Poll closed Sep 23, 2005.
  1. Lakland Skyline 55-01

73 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. G&L Tribute L-2500

45 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz

47 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Fender Deluxe Active Jazz 5

48 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. Fender Quilt Top 24 Fret Jazz

35 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. OK TB'ers, I would like to know your opinions of the following basses. I currently am the proud owner of a Fender MIA P-bass and am considering my options for a second bass. Which one is your favorite based on overall build quality, reliability, tone, neck comfort, fun, etc. I know the usual questions you'll all ask, what type of music, what feels good, etc. All good questions but I'm really interested in your general opinions. I've used search on all and read individual opinions but wanted a comparison. Shopping is so much fun. :hyper:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Got a price range? Are you interested in maybe diversifying to fretless and/or more strings than 4?

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    me, i love my mia p-bass. consider maybe a jazz, or a stingray.

i also have a ray.

4. Pretty much all of these are under 1K. I think that's all my wife will allow before she kills me. ;)

5. I'm considering several jazs (see poll). Question becomes which?

6. The G&L or Lakland will be the most versatile. I would chose the Jazz 24 or Active Jazz, but I'd probably take just a basic passive Jazz first. This is a sound that no bassist should be without.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I DID choose the 55-01.

8. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    You can occasionaly find good used 55-02's for less than $800. I picked up mine, which is in great shape, with a hardshell case and shipping for that much. You'll get a bit more tone flexibility than a 55-01.
    ---
    c

9. I would take the Reggie Hamilton......

10. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I'd take the Lakland.

11. debbandruss

debbandruss

Jun 10, 2004
    A fretless MIM Jazz might not be a bad consideration, I'm in the same place you are at the moment. I'm about 95% sure I've decided too, the three I've checked out have been every bit the quality my MIA is, the only thing I will change is the pup's. They sound quite good but are noisey. And since the bass itself is so inexpensive I can really go all out on any pickups I want! Good Luck, Have Fun Shopping!!

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For my needs, the Lakland is the best choice. Your needs may be different than mine.

The reasons that I pick the Lakland are neck width, neck profile, B string, and wide string spacing at the bridge. The 3 band preamp makes the bass pretty versatile too.

13. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    With some fiddling the Tribute can get those Fender and 'ray sounds...

14. I voted for the Lakland because it appears to be the most different from a p-bass. You don't want something too similar.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    being a 34" scale only type guy.... the G&L got my vote over the Lakland. If scale doesn't matter, the Skyline 55-02 would my choice. All of the one you listed are pretty cool basses though.

16. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'd go with the Lakland for one reason: Versatility! You can acheive lower tunings with the longer scale length, have the B string, and access different sounds with the 3 band preamp.The Lakland is also by far the most comfortable, but good luck with whatever you buy!

17. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The Lakland is almost double the price of the G&L... even in the used market. No fair! I got my L-2500 tribute for $450 used. I have yet to see a used Lakland for under $750

18. I never heard of the 24 fret quilt Jazz, but it sounds sweet so I picked that. Anyone have a link or a pic of it?

19. Com'on, Philbiker! He got you right off the bat! I think the idea here is general opinions.

20. The Lakland Skyline runs under 700.00 new. It's about 100 more than the Tribute. :ninja: