bass prejudice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassboy_jordan, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
  2. No

16 vote(s)
  1. I just have to say how sick i am of narrow minded people who consider bass as a second class instrument. I have recently had to put up with two examples of this.
    Just yesterday I was talking to someone about love of playing music, etc. They were asking how my playing was coming along and how muh time I've had of late to put towards practice, I was telling them songs i was learning, and after a while of talking he says "You play real guitar too dont you?"
    REAL GUITAR!:mad:
    2nd example: I was in a music store talking to a sales person about a certain bass, and after a while he goes on about how bassists are actually in demand and how bass 'can actually be important in a band', well thanks for clearing that up for me you tosser, i would have had no idea otherwise :rolleyes:
    Just wondering if it gets under anyone else's skin like it has been mine lately.
  2. Just ignore them.. they're just ignorant primates with no clue of what bass really is.

99 % of all people still see bass as a supporting-instrument.. while real musicians know that the bass, controlls more than 80 % of the rythem and melody.

i've had plenty of arguements with people who say that bassplayers are just guitarists who couldn't handle more than 4 strings.. but when you get older, you tend to have more of a " **** them and their stupid ideas "-attitude..

3. I don't think it's prejudice, I think that it's just ignorance!!! I pity those poor people who spout statements like that - I don't get worked up by them!!
  4. Yeah, your right, a lot of it is ignorance.
    I'm usually really calm about it but lately it's gotten to me.
    I do feel soory for a lot of people who cant tell a bassline from a guitar part, and there are plenty.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nope. Never. It's all about self-esteem... if you feel good about yourself and what you're doing who gives a rat's patoot what others may say or think?

Feel bad?
  6. My friend (guitarist) keeps telling me that the bass is a defective instrument because the balance point isn't in the same place as on a guitar.

"Really Sherlock? That wouldn't be because a bass is 25 centimetres longer than that toothpick?"
  7. YES! My world is shattered...

8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    bass does suck. play your ****ing whole note and get over it ;)
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    And it was soooo easy... I should do this more often

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    OK Mr. Johnson, one more outburst like that and you'll be given a detention! You need to be more respectful of the feelings of your fellow low-lives...

11. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I don't most of the time...but there are the few bad ones...such as my band's lead guitarist who thinks a bass shouldn't have more than 4 strings and should never do anything but root.
  12. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've never really encountered "bass prejudice", it's mostly people who are just ignorant on the role of the bass, and of course, they always want to know what the difference is. I don't mind telling them though. As AllodoX said, most of the people who think bass is a secondary instrument are ignorant about music in general, and real musicians know how much a bass brings to the music. If a musician says that bass is a secondary instrument, or was for guitarist that couldn't cut it, (which does happen a lot though), all of the bassist they played with must have sucked and bashed out roots in every song they played.

On the other hand, I've expierenced drummer prejudice. (Not against me, cause I'm not a drummer, but a guy I know) It seems that all the bluegrass bands around where I live, hate drummers for some reason. (I don't mean, they dislike drums in their style of music, cause bluegrass isn't suppose to have drums, but they actually dislike a person if they play drums :rolleyes: )
  13. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It's no big deal.

People who feel that way should just play in a band without a bassist. There's no point in getting all worked up over someone else's problem.
  14. my guitarist is much like John Davis'

when i told him my next bass would be a 6-stringer he said "wot's the point in that? just get a guitar it'd be much better!"

and when i try to play anything more than root notes he says "your not MEANT to play things like that, your just meant to add depth to the sound of the guitar"

and if i take a solo he'll say "wow that sounds good, but guitars are meant to do solo's so i'd better do it"

urgh. guitarists!

i'm just thankfull the other guitarist is on my side

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    and the sad thing might be he said that just to get a sale...
  16. what exactly does "tosser" mean, i like the sound of that and would love to work that into my daily list of slam words.
  17. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i also would like to know what exactly tosser means. it definitely has potential...
  18. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Haven't heard anything in a long time. Most of the people who know I play bass just look at me and say, "You don't LOOK like a musician..."

The rest are musicians who understand that a groove is created between bass and drums, and without it, the guitars and keyboards will NEVER sound good. They seem to appreciate the role of bass as much as their own instrument.

When I was younger, I did experience a lot more, though. Sometimes from guitarists who felt their instrument was clearly superior to the bass...but, then again, my neck is CLEARLY bigger than theirs, and I don't think I need to advertise that fact, do I:eek::D

Then there were the idiots who'd ask me if I played bass because it's easier, "...after all, it's only got 4 strings..."

19. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    tosser: Noun. An idiot, a despicable person.

Originating from the verb, to "toss off", to masturbate
  20. I'm lucky. The band I'm in the guitarist is pretty cool with the bass. He doesn't really understand what I'm doing most of the time (neither do I :rolleyes:) but he says if it sounds cool, he's got no problem with it. I have had people tell me that I'm supposed to play roots and otherwise it's pointless but, I don't really care. What I do hate though is when people say that bass is really easy to play, but yet they can't play ANY instrument for themselves :confused: