Bass prices in UK vs USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zevo, Dec 9, 2004.

1. zevo

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Do you guys know if bass prices in the UK are more expensive or cheaper than in the US?
  2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    More expensive, much more i guess.
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not for UK makers/manufacturers, I'd imagine.
  4. petrol ( gas ) costs £3.40 a gallon, Ampeg SVTCL £1800.00 Musicman stingray £1000.00 get the idea !!

We pay far too much for everything and our wages are crap as well !!

Why do you think us English are allways moaning about things !!
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Actually instruments are cheaper in USA than anywhere else in the world.
  6. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Usa Fender Jazz in Ireland 1900 Euros!And 750 for a MIM
  7. Todays rates.

MIA - $2528.43

MIM - $998.07

8. suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    Yup, not only that but we have to deal with a far more limited selection of basses.

Buying from the US works out about the same cost-wise due to import tax and VAT, but at least there's more to choose from...
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - this is the point - Taxes are far less in the US - so there is no National Health Service and things like that.

Luxury goods like basses are far more expensive than the UK, in some other European countries - liek Sweden and Denmark.
  10. Musicman SUB in Australia - $1300
    MIM Fender Jazz - $1000 (ish)

If anyone wants to give out a sympathy vote, you know where to find me.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Actually - pay in the UK is pretty high and especially in London - also, the dollar is dropping against the pound - so we get 2 dollars to the pound now.

So - a lot of English people are getting cheap flights and buying all their Christmas presents in New York as it's so cheap.....!

I think we have the better situation and I don't hear of many Americans flying over to London to do their shopping!! ;)
  12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Why is it like that? Because USA buys way more instruments than any other lands and gets better prices for this?
    Or why is a spector made in chezk(whatever it's called) not cheapere in the land where it's made?
  13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    It's worse than that... RRP on a stingray is £1245 (3 band, no piezo). £1195 for the 2 band.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

It's because people and companies in the USA pay less taxes than anywhere else in the developed world.
  15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Yep, it's not limited to the VAT we pay on the goods. Distributors and retailers are taxed more heavily and have to make a bigger margin to make a profit.

EDIT: ("we" being the UK and Europe)
  16. Hmm.

Actually the taxes aren't all that low as there are multiple layers of taxes and taxation agencies.

1. Federal:
    Federal Income Tax (progressive)
    Social Security Tax (regressive)

2. State:
    State Income Tax (progressive)
    Workers Compensation Tax (regressive)
    Sales Tax (regressive)

3. Municipal/local:
    Property Tax (regressive)

In general the taxation schemes are Progressive, which means that the more you earn the more you pay, rather than Regressive, which means everybody pays the same amount. At they are progessive in amount paid rather than in the total number of different taxes. And the Progressive taxes depend on the marital status and the number of dependents.

In dollar terms the average percentage of earnings paid out in taxes is around 40% for a single guy earning more than $50k a year. For a family of four earning $30k a year the actual taxation rate is around 15%, or lower. It's actually possible for married couples, with dependents, to actually gain money from the government.

BTW this list doesn't include all the various other taxes and rebate plans. There is, as an example, $1,000 dependent child rebate, per child, from the Federal Income Tax. *shrug* it's a damn complicated mess. It's been "reformed" twice already and each time it's become an even bigger mess.