1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Problem...Please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scarmic5, Nov 24, 2010.

1. scarmic5

scarmic5

Nov 24, 2010
    Hey guys, I have a Stingray 4-string and an ampeg 220 combo. I have been very pleased with both, but today I went to guitar center, where I played a comparable bass (cheaper Stingray) on the identical amp. I noticed that it had significantly more punch than my set, which was disappointing considering the amount of money I have put into mine. I tried replicating the sound settings at home, but no doing. I replaced the battery on the active pickup, I changed cords, but nothing seemed to help. Any advice? I was thinking my picjup might be bad?

2. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    strings?
    They play a huge role in the sound.
    Ernie Ball usually strings everything with ernie ball strings although I dont know what type.

3. scarmic5

scarmic5

Nov 24, 2010
    yeah, I was thinking that too, but i seriously doubt that the strings on the one at guitar center are fresh. that might be it though

4. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    Perhaps pickup position, the one in the store could have the p/ups a lot closer to the strings...accounting for the extra punch.

5. Greg75

Greg75

Nov 20, 2009
    Santa Monica
    Yep, try some new EB Slinkys and a setup, including pickup adjustment. Stingrays are wonderfully consistent, so I bet the sound you heard is there in yours.

6. scarmic5

scarmic5

Nov 24, 2010
    is a pickup adjustment something that has to be done in the shop or can I do it myself?

7. scarmic5

scarmic5

Nov 24, 2010
    thanks guys! I adjusted it and it sounds somewhat better...maybe ill restring it and itll be good as new!

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    There's also the subjectivity of environment. Before you do anything drastic, take your bass to that store and play on that amp to see if there really is a difference.

9. Greg75

Greg75

Nov 20, 2009
    Santa Monica
    +1

10. Battery?
    Bad cable?

11. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    Very 'sound' advice.

Rooms have a lot of influence, especially on lows.