Bass problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PwX-Steve, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Hey guys,

heres the deal
    i got this bass in a package about 2 years ago
    its not the best brand in the world and you have probely never heard of the brand, but i absolutly love the sound
    i can go thru 3 of these basses and have it for the same time as i would own say a fender precision and pay the same price. it may seem crazy but the sound just rocks. anyway the current bass i have which is the oldest i have started to notice somthink. not everytime but say 60% of the time, when i lightly touch the strings with my finger, not a pick!. I get like a little zap noise.
    its like a way way way smaller version of when u have the volume right right down on your amp and you pull out the lead really fast. i cant seem to work out what it is and its not that bad but it can wreck a nice sound when i play fingers, which isnt much!.
    its not the amp because i just got a new amp 2 weeks ago and it did it both with this new amp and old.

if anyone knows what it is and if it can be fixed it would be a real help

PS: i plan on keeping all 3 of my basses i cant loose my first, its a personal thing. in other words im not settling for a bin job hehe. i should also be sponcered by the company hehe

PPS: the brand is Prince/Ranger P
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's probably the ground wire for the bridge. Open the control cavity on the back of your bass and check the wire that's coming from the bridge. It's probably broken or got loose.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If it's not what JMX said, (the problem he pointed out is very real possibility), it may be that your pickups/control cavity aren't shielded or thoroughly shielded. Poor shielding is one of the reasons inexpensive basses are, well, cheap.

Whenever someone notices noise as a result of touching the string, electrostatic noise is the first thing that comes to mind. And electrostatic noise is all about grounding, as JMX was talking about.

A poorly shielded, or unshielded instrument, is the same as using speaker cable for an instrument cable - there's little/no low resistance cage to intercept electrostatic fields and ground them.

You may see shielding, but if it isn't connected to ground, as JMX is saying, what shielding there is only makes the problem worse.

If it isn't the wire from the bridge, I'd take it to a tech. I don't know how to use heat shrink/fish paper/conductive paint/copper foil.
  4. cool well im going to try what JMX said now and im hoping its the prob because i cant loose my first bass lol
    its not a big problem for me i do have others but yeh. im pretty good with electrics so hopfully i can fix it..
    thanks heaps for your help