1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kougan, Oct 3, 2008.

1. kougan

kougan

Jun 29, 2008
    Hi, I have this problem with my bass:
    When I plug my bass to the my amp, the amp starts buzzing
    and no sound comes from my bass.

The cable is not broken I tested it withdifferent cables.

I didn't had that problem before.
    Can you help me?

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    What bass do you have?

(And what amp?)

And what kind of buzz?
    If you don't touch your strings?

3. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    So you use several different cables, plugging your bass in each time, and you always get the buzzing and no signal? Is that what's happening?

This could be several things. I like to play "follow the signal" to diagnose.

First, could be the input in your bass. Try running a different instrument through your amp. (Try different cables again, too.) If you get a signal from a different instrument, then the problem is in your bass's jack. If your bass is active (has a battery) then the battery is dead. Most common cause of no signal.

If you don't get a signal from another instrument, it might be the input into your amp. If you feel comfortable taking your amp apart, you can check that.

Next place the signal goes is the amp's brains. At that point, you should probably have a repair guy look at it.

4. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Sounds like either your bass earth has gone open circuit or your amp has issues. Try the bass in another amp to isolate the fault. If it's the bass have it apart and check the connections and resolder if necessary. If it's the amp get it checked by a pro as there deadly voltages in an amp if you don't know what you're doing, even unplugged from the mains.

5. kougan

kougan

Jun 29, 2008
    I know its my bass, because my brother has an electric drum and sometimes he pls it in my amp to play and it work fine.

6. peter jack

peter jack

Jun 8, 2008
    You have to check the jack. Probably you have a problem there.

7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    i was going to say check the jack also. Check if the cable is plugged all the way in the jack. tighten the bolt holding the jack to the plate then check if the jack is bent or anything. or if the wires came disconnected in your bass or something. I have an mim fender that the solder on the ground just broke one day. I soldered it back up and it works great.

8. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

If the bass is active replace the battery.

9. lol:D
    beat me to it