Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Prodigy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PUNK&DONUTS, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Ok basketball has Jordan, Golf has Tiger Woods, Boxing has Ali but who do you think in the bass playing world has reached the status of prodigy or influenced it dramatically. When I say prodigy I mean known and has changed the way we look at bass like that of Jordan, Ali, Tiger.
    I would actually name 4.
    Leo Fender - maybe didn't play it but introduced the shape we all know and the electric bass.
    Jaco - His skill and finesse as a player
    Les Claypool - His way of making interesting bass lines which lead the band instead of guitar.
    Flea - Because he is probably one of the most well known bass players and is actually deserving of the credit given to him.

All of these people I choose because they have changed the way we see bass and also the way I see bass. Everyone will probably be different because they will have what influenced them but some of these will feature most definitely.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Michael Manring has certainly pushed the limits of bass playing with his experimental tunings and playing more than one bass at a time.

Willie Dixon, the blues bassist, not only played upright bass, but wrote many songs that are still played today.

Larry Graham is the father of slap technique.

There are others, but I can't think of them right now.

Who is the first recognized bass tapper? Is it Billy Sheehan? Sheehan may also have been the first to play bass with an electric Makita drill.

The Cuban bassist, Chacao. Is that how it is spelled? He has been extremely influential in the music of that region. In fact, wasn't he the one who "invented" the cha cha, because he wanted to take the music of the time and make it more danceable?

There are others who have had a lasting impact, but I can't think of them right this minute, but others here will, no doubt.

jason oldsted

3. Ill tak ethe popular choice and say Jaco, but Im 1 and havent been objected to a whole lot of other great players.

4. I haven't even heard of most of those you mention Oldstead, shows you how cultured I am who are they and and what type of music do they play?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Shouln't this be in "Bassists" rather than Misc? There have been loads of threads like this in Bassists.