1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Project - Need Advice/Perspective - Schecter Stargazer

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DADoser, Dec 10, 2017.

1. DADoser

DADoser

Nov 11, 2017
    Tempe, AZ
    I picked up a 2008 Schecter Stargazer today off CL. Original pickup EMG pickups were replaced with unknown Jazz bass pickups. Bass is also now passive vs. original active pickups. Seller said "EQ was shorted out when he put the battery in backwards. Bottom knob/pot has been removed and is now input jack. Original input jack hole is on the bottom edge and is now open. It does sound pretty good as is.

I was originally thinking, I would try to restore this to original configuration.
    What are your thoughts/perspective?

Leave "as is" and just play it?
    Restore to original - active EMG pickups, restore original input jack and original 4 knob functions?
    Leave passive and install some different pickups, restore original function knobs/jack?
    Other creative thoughts ideas?

Best option for resale value if I decide to sell in in a few years?
    (I paid $160)
    DSCN0960.JPG DSCN0962.JPG
    Thanks in advance for any replies/perspective/thoughts, etc.

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I'd just rock it.

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    How does it sound in it's current configuration?

4. Try it as is and go from there. You’ll never get full value out of any expensive electronics when you try to sell.

5. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    Well, the bass's resale value is already shot anyway. If I had such a bass and wanted to keep it, I'd toss a set of Nordstrand pickups into it (Jazz Blade + Big BladeMan, maybe? Not sure if those two pair well together out-of-the-box, but they do custom windings if needed, so that should be easy to solve), with a splitter on the MM and any good 3-band preamp (Audere, Aguilar, Nordstrand... Pick your poison), and then I'd marvel at the versatility and sheer rock power of the resulting configuration.

Of course, the electronics I quoted there will cost you between 2 and 3 times the price you paid for the bass in the first place... And if/when you decide to sell it, they won't add that much to the value. At best, they'll restore it to a little above what you'd sell the stock version of that bass for (I'm assuming that butcher job got you a massive discount when *you* bought it, right?).