1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Project Pick-up Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by elocke2009, Apr 25, 2010.

1. elocke2009

elocke2009

Aug 19, 2009
    Hey,
    as the title states I have a question regarding a project I'm planning and I'm looking to tap into the expertise here around the boards of TB. I am wanting the noise-canceling effects of active pick-ups but I do not want a preamp as I would prefer to keep it adjustable only the amp. I never adjust my town after the show begins so it is unneccesary for me to have a preamp...any help is appreciated.

2. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    Peavey VFL pickups. They are the same ones used in the Cirrus and Foundations. They are passive and can be use active as well.

3. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I think the Peavey VFL pickup are actually active. They need a battery to make any noise at all. I've got a spare one, and it makes no sound without a battery.

Regarding the "noise-cancelling effects of active pickups", any good passive humbucking pickups with adequate shielding should produce the same result. There a multitude of passive pickups which meet these criteria. I've tested a number of them in fully passive mode (i.e. no pre-amp) and they work just fine.

What sort of tone are you looking for?

4. elocke2009

elocke2009

Aug 19, 2009
    Well I need something that will fit in well in a church and also something that will mesh well with the christian rock band I'm in. We do punk/alternative type stuff.

5. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    Sorry, you are incorrect about the VFL pickups being active.

I worked at a music store that was a Peavey dealer. The VFL pickups are the ones used in the Foundation Basses which are non active. The Cirrus basses have the exact same pickups in them. They are a passive pickup, not active.
    Also....when ordered as a replacement part, the bag they come in is labeled VFL FOUNDATION / CIRRUS replacement.

By the way ALL Cirrus basses use the same pickups the American Made and the Import BXP series.