1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Project: semi-hollow body woods? f holes?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SRSiegel, Feb 28, 2003.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hello everyone,

I'm thinking about building a bass this summer. This would be my first one, but I'm pretty confident I can do it. So far the plan is to buy a fretted 5 string neck blank from Carvin with a paddle headstock, and attach wings to it. After playing some different basses in my local stores to see what electronic setup would work best for this project I've decided on a J+J setup with an active volume and a balance control between the two pickups for tonal variation. Going for simplicity.

Anyways, my question is about the body. I want a warm "organic" sound, big and open. I was thinking of a center laminate with chambers cut into it, and then solid back and top laminates, creating a semi hollow body. I am debating cutting two F holes in the top as well.

Any reccomendations for body woods and also your opinion on the effect of F holes on the sound of the bass? Please keep in mind that Although I'm comfortable working with wood I'm by no means a professional, so workability would be an added bonus. I intend on finishing the bass with a hand rubbed oil type finish.

Heres a rough idea of he design, pre F holes:
    [​IMG]

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I'm certainly no expert, but I built a semi-hollow without f-holes, then changed the top and put an f-hole in it. I didn't notice any difference in the tone. F-holes can look cool, though...

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    There's a point at which it doesn't matter if you're an expert or not. If you didn't hear a difference in tone, that's the bottom line.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I agree,

I've built different hollowbodies basses and guitars and didn't noticed a great deal about F holes. If you want tehm for looks then go for it but dn't expect the F hole to give you a huge amount of acoistic sound projection.

About woods an construction: Going with a central core and top and back plates is cool and allows to use a jigsaw/bandsaw to hollow the core rather than a router.

I have a bass with this type of construction right now in the works.

I would recommend to go for a soft and workable wood for the core section (alder, cherry or limba for example) and a dense exotic hardwood for top and back...

Peace, JP

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    FBB Custom, you are absolutely right. I always feel I have to put that qualifier in there when I post in this forum, since I am certainly nowhere near the skill and experience of many of you pros. I've only built five instruments. But I'm working on it!