Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass project - wood combo

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by g04t, Sep 5, 2004.

1. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    So this is my first post at tb. If you have issues with it you are welcome to bring them up with me privately. :)
    Now onto the subject matter.

After a month of research I have decided to build a bass through parts from Warmoth. Actually, I will probably have someone else put it together since I don't have time.

I am just curious as to what you think of the wood combination I have selected. Thanks for any input/insults.
    :eek:

Dinky J - Walnut w/ Black Korina top
    Black dye with Black Back
    http://www.warmoth.com/bass/bodies/dinky.cfm?fuseaction=include_dinkyj

13 degree angled neck with Warmoth head
    Pau Ferro neck with Ebony fretboard
    Satin finish - no dots!
    24 fret

I realize that this will be a heavy bass, but that is fine. My current washburn 5 string is very heavy and my body has acoomodated to it. Just really curious as to what you all think of the wood combination as far as tone goes.
    Thanks

edit(jt) just helping with some of the grammar :)

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well with a start like that let me just say:

Welcome aboard!!! (maybe try and be a little nicer)

Let me introduce you to Nino:

http://www.valentibasses.com/

Let's just call them opinions, You can value them or ignore them. Thats what opinions are for.

Sounds great. I don't know how the Korina will take the black dye, but there are others here with more wood experience than me. I've always favored the angled headstocks, sating finish (or hand rubbed oil) and no dots myself, but I'd prefer Maple neck w Pau Ferro Fingerboard, but that's just me, I'm not a fan of exotic neck woods but I've got a PF fingerboard on my Cirrus that I LOVE, and I never liked the feel of ebony.

Walnut is known to be a bit heavier than most when used for a body, but it's not like it's going to end up weiging 15 pounds or anything, but tone wise I think walnut is one of my favorites.

Good luck on your project and be sure to post pics when you've got it (we LOVE pics here, of anything... really...)

3. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Oh i'll definately post pics, thanks for the link and the response!

I'm still not too sure about the ebony, I'm going to head over to bassnw and play around on a few different wood types for the neck. Might end of going Pau/Pau.

4. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Cool, you live near BassNW!!! That place rocks (or I should say their web site rocks!!!) I check out their inventory every week. I could certainly spend a large lotery jackpot there pretty quickly. Nothing even remotely close to that in my neck of the woods without a drive of several hours.

5. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    it's very nice, considering i'd rather set gc on fire then step foot inside.

6. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Here's a pack of matches:

ooooooooo
    ||||||||||
    ||||||||||
    ||||||||||
    ========

Don't tell anyone where you got them...
    ;}

7. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    well I emailed warmoth, they have no pics available of a walnut/black korina body with black dye and a black back.

actually, they said they dont think they've ever done it before.
    soo.

i'm ordering,
    will post pics once it arrives. :eek:

8. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    We generally reserve dyes for figured maple, as it accentuates the figure. We would have no idea how black dye would look on walnut or korina, other than very, very, very (n*[, very]^27) dark. (That's real dark, folks.) In fact if we just painted it black you probably couldn't tell the difference. We're generally reluctant to take orders for things we've never seen before, because the results are likely to suprise the customer as much as us.

Black dye on quilt flame, on the other hand, looks great. And trans red or blue over black korina look great as well, as does clear gloss...

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Brian

Do you have any photos of dyed black korina?

10. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    No, we always do transparent colors over black korina instead of dye. Dye is rubbed straight into the wood before the basecoat. Because of the "wavy" grain structure of figured maple, different parts of the figure absorb different amounts of dye and get darker. On woods that don't have a particular figure pattern like flame or quilt, dye can make the wood look splotchy or uneven.

Transparent colors are tinted finishes that are sprayed over the clear basecoat, and therefore the grain structure of the wood has no effect on them. That's why we use them over a wider variety of woods.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Here's what black korina looks like, w/ Warmoths Transparent Blue finish... See how dark it came out. Brain's not lying... Black Korina is dark & it just gets darker w/ any color... For a contrast, go look how Nino's Gecko came out w/ the same trans blue finish,, on Swamp Ash... It's a very vibrant looking blue...

I think any of the lighter transparents would be amazing... like Mary Kay Transparent or maybe, yellow or butterscotch, or even the Amber Transparent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Cool, I didn't know we had a Warmoth Insider here on the board!!! Nice to meet you bwbass! I'm a huge fan of Warmoth products and I think you guys do one of the best jobs of making your stuff clear and understandable on the net as far as options and what is possible and available. That along with the huge selection of ready to ship stuff which often have woods and options not on the standard lists makes it one of the places I'm sure to check in with every week. I was especially interested in those patterned tops you've got on there now, I think it was maple/wenge in a checkerboard pattern and chery/maple in a diamond pattern. Those were GREAT ideas. I wish I had the $$$ to slap a bass together. I'd be all over those!!!

Getting back On-Topic. Could g04t get the look it sounds like he's interested in by using a black transparent since it would be done after the basecoat? If I understand that with the Dyed finishes the softer parts of the wood soak up more and get darker, aren't the softer parts usually the lighter parts also? If that was the case then that would most likely cause the Black Dye to make the whole thing very dark (as in your comment that you could just paint it black and you wouldn't tell the difference). But if the body was given a clear basecoat and then given a light (maybe even thinned a bit) coat of a transparent black over the top and then do the black painted back and sides? Or maybe even continue the black a bit around the edges of the front. I saw a pic of a bass (forget which one, hopefully someone else will remember and be able to find the pic) from I think the recent NAMM show of a Spaleted Maple top that had a white painted back that feathered around the top about an inch or so that looked UNBELIEVABLE!!!! If the same effect could be pulled of in a dark bass that would be SWEET!!!

13. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Lajoie T -

Yes, trans black over the whole thing would be a better idea, but it would still be pretty dark. We've done transparent black over mahogany, and you can really only see the grain if you hold it in direct sunlight. Granted there's more visible grain in black korina, so it may show up a tad better than that.

14. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    bwbass - perfect!

thanks LajoieT.

Trans black would be perfect like that on black korina for me.

I hate flashy stuff...Maybe chrome hardware on the finished product, but that may be pushing it. The reason is ask is because my current washburn has a flame maple top with a black back. The top is a greyish/greenish color.

I like the colors, hate the maple. Darker would be even better.

Thanks for the input!

15. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    you read my mind man, thanks!

and yes to around the front.

16. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Here are 2 pics of the painted back coming around the front. I've heard it called the "Woodburst" on one of the threads. These 2 are Brad Johnsons :eek: ..I mean Brubakers :D , but the ownership is the same either way ;) .

I think the white covers a bit too much of the wood, especially on this SWEET Spalted Top:

[​IMG]

This Black Finish however is absolutely perfect IMO!!!!

[​IMG]

17. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    ahh white!

yeah that black looks nice.
    the black on my current bass goes just a little bit more over the top.

i'll post pics once I run across a digital camera.