Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Pros Suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

We have a wonderful, lively bass pros forum now. I wish we could add two more--Billy Sheehan and Roscoe Beck. That would just be mighty fine. Still, those we have now have been very helpful and add tremendous value to Talk Bass.

Who would you folks like to add if we could get any (living, of course) bassist to come here?

JO

2. Les Claypool? Well, no, I think I would have a heart attack if I could talk to Les.

3. How about some people from MP3.com? The ones who were featured in BP mag.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Who were the players featured in the BP mag?

5. Tony Webb, James "Doc" White, Ray Peterson, John Harrison, Aaron Bilodeau (Xero Burn), and others. They're in the April issue of BP mag.

6. Billy Sheehan and Roscoe Beck would be great.
    (I'd impose a ban on Billy Sheehan encouraging players to wear spandex and dye their hair blond though - I've just watched his first instructional video...... and Wolf Marshall should get a haircut IMHO.....:D)

another suggestion- "Ask Doug Wimbish"- I think he'd be great too.

7. How about asking some Pro Drummers to visit occasionally?

8. erm, judging from the controversy over her claim to several basslines that were widely accepted as being the work of James Jamerson, "Ask Carol Kaye" could be in danger of turning into a flame war regarding this subject.........

9. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    I'd love to see Stu Hamm here. Percy Jones would be pretty damn sweet too.

*fantasizes*

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nathan East.

11. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I'd personally love to see John Entwistle here. I remember reading that he takes an interest in the Internet - in fact, he might even be reading this now. But I'd like to say that the pros that we currently have here are excellent, and do add real value to the forum. Still, I can dream, can't I? ;)

12. What about:John Paul Jones
    Lincoln Goines
    Oteil Burbridge
    Dave Pomeroy
    Marcus Miller

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    ahem... shouldn't that be 'The Ox'?

-robert

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    It just so happens that Ray Peterson is a friend of mine :D. It was great seeing him in there, that's the second time he's made it in the mag (first time was a mention in a Jaco article, he studied with Jaco). Great player, and his CD is very good, if you like the "smooth jazz" thing - although that's not a fair description. It's much deeper than any of that genre that I've heard, just the closest thing to it that I can think of.

I'll second the suggestions of Roscoe Beck, Nathan East, and Dave Pomeroy. And I'll add my backing to TMTR's suggestion that Carol Kaye may not be a good idea. No disrespect to CK, but she's a bit controversial and would be a lightning rod for trolls. Besides she's already got her own website to care for, so I seriously doubt she'd have time for another one.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...he'd be my pick! Funny guy, too; do you remember when OB played around here while in The Squares?

As far as the mp.3 bassists-
    ...isn't Tony Webb already a member?

16. Dude!!! I had heard of the Squares but never saw them!!! I'm kicking myself now!!! I can't believe it!!!

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    How 'bout Will Lee? I bet he's got a lot of experiences worth talking about.

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I'd also like to see Carol Kaye here irrespective of the tune credit issues.

Alphonso Johnson, he already has a message board, provides excellent information and is an all around nice guy.

Stanley Clarke, this would be a dream come true, I'd love to ask him some questions about stuff.

Rhonda Smith, it would be nice to have a woman's touch around here.

"Ready" Freddie Washington, the "Groove Master General".

Anthony Jackson, here's another guy that would have tons of information to share.

Phil

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Beaver Felton - He seems to really take the trouble to explain things thoroughly from what I've seen in his videos. Plus, the man can really burn.

Rick Turner/Terry Buddingh - Not so much bassists, but "All your bass gear questions are belong to us"

The "Budda"- Funk is so hard to explain because it is so oriented towards "feel", but he seems to be able to do it.

Dennis Dunaway - If he would tell some road stories.

Joe Osborne - What hasn't he seen or done in the studio?

Jonas Hellborg/Bill Laswell - Very different thoughts on bass

Tim Bogert - ROCK bass

I would have mentioned one of my idols, John Entwistle, but I saw him on an instructional video with this bass with incredible action, and all he basically said was, "Use your imagination." :rolleyes:

20. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    :D