Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass protection - case preferences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Moesle, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I just sold one of my basses online and was in a bit of a quandry as to which case to include, and which to keep for myself. One was a tolex case, heavier, and the other was an "SKB-like" case, light as a feather. Both fit the same model bass (Stingray 5's, I have several).

I've never really given it much thought. Curious as the preferences of others and why. I really don't use cases much, and prefer to use a quality gig bag most of the time. Used a real Anvil ATA flight case when flying once, which was ULTRA heavy, and while it protected the bass from bumps and bruises, checking the bass as luggage was a bit of a risk for theft and loss, so now I prefer to just carry it on in a gig bag and put it in the overhead.

Thoughts?

2. I think pretty much any hard shell case will do the trick.

I paid $75 for mine. The inside reeks of velvet or something..but the smell brings back memories of when we moved, so I welcome it. :D

3. The bright yellow colour of that bass should be enough theft protection!

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I do not like SKB style cases because of the aluminum frame that goes around the opening. I've dinged and scratched many basses on that stupid edge, and have had the lid accidentally close on the bass as I'm putting it in and it scratched the top of the bass. Forget it!
    This can't happen with a tolex case.

Also, I have driven to shows with my former plastic SKB type cases in the bed of my truck and the cases warped slightly because it was in the sun.
    Tolex is better....

While I'm at it...I don't like gig bags either. I've had gig bags slide out of the back seat of my crewcab truck while I was unloading the rest of the guitars/basses, not cool when the butt end of the body hits the ground. I've had the same thing happen on the road when the guitars/basses ride in the equipment trailer. No 'quality' gig bag offers that much protection.

JMO

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It all depends what you're doing. Gigbags are great for riding the subway. If your bass will ride in the back of the trailer w/ the other gear, tougher cases are better. I've never had trouble w/ my SKB case. I've got a fender plastic case that the hinges came out of the plastic. This hinge was virtually impossible to replace, the holes were now too big, so I wrapped wire through the holes to act as a makeshift hinge. It works fine, but I would've preferred it to stay solid in the 1st place. My tolex cases are all good, they show wear more than the plastic ones but I don't really care. The handle broke on my Ibanez tolex case, and I can't find the same type to replace it w/, and I don't want to just screw a new one on because the screw/bolt might go too far in on the inside and scratch the finish, so I just leave the handleless case at home.

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Screws? Ever heard of a rivet gun?

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, just wondering if you ever thought of the correct fix.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Could I buy a decent case for the price of a rivet gun?

Actually, the missing handle spot still has the original bolts sticking out. The old handle wasn't riveted, it was bolted, so what I really need to find is a handle w/ the same spacing, or a handle made of something that I could drill the right holes into.

It's no problem leaving it home, I only use 2 basses to gig and I have 4 hard cases and 2 gig bags, so it's not a priority for me.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    My SKB Standard case survived a plane trip to Ft. Lauderdale, all the bus transports while we where there, going on to the ship & coming off and home without hurting anything. Given i also wrapped the body of the bass w/bubble wrap & the headstock so that nothing could shake. As for my tolex cases-they got some wear marks on them during marching band season from getting put onto the trailer [gets to sit where both sides are snugly against the wall]. Thats all

9. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    This is probably irrelevant since the handle on your case isn't riveted but...

Harbor Freight sells a rivet gun kit for real cheap, like under 20 bucks. I use mine much more than I expected for little repairs and whatnots. :)

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm very into Hiscox Lite-Flite cases! My car got wrecked about 18 months ago. My Spector was in the boot (trunk I guess) and I was rear ended big time! The case ended up completely stuck on the back of the car, and was pretty much OK - the bass was very well protected! It survived with minor damage - gouges in the finish and a couple of loosened frets (all put right by my local guitar tech!)

Now, I wouldn't buy any other case!

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Coffin cases look like the bass would slide around inside too much and get scratched or dinged, not a snug fit at all. They look like they were constructed only for "cool" factor, and not for protection.

12. ...I assumed it was more of a gag (personal preference, impractical) sort of post anyhow...

13. I have two SKB cases and the case for my Stingray looks very similar. I don't like gig bags; I'm usually pretty careful and not on the klutzy side, but, sometines I knock the case into a wall just walking through the house. I've never traveled with any of my basses.

I rest my case. :)

Mike

14. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown

LOL I actually had one of these until my bass got stolen... It is actually a pretty descent little case... and the vibe is cool too...

FYI I had a Warmoth 5 string in it...

15. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Calzone Flight Cases!!!

I had one made for each of my basses when I was on the road (an Alembic and two Fender Jazz Basses). They were bounced around in the back of truck traveling around the US, shipped in a cargo plane to Alaska and dropped by all thumb roadies!

Never did I even have a scratch on any of my basses. I am pretty sure you can use them as a bench, they are so strong. The down side is, HEAVY! The one that held my Alembic was heavy to begin with then add the weight of the bass.

I would not recommend for everyday use unless you live in the mountains and have to use a 4x4 to get to the gig!!