Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Purchase; Feedback

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pdusen, Aug 18, 2004.

1. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Out to buy a bass, I'm considering the Millenium BXP 4-String by Peavy, which you can seehere. The thing has pretty fair reviews (definately good enough for a newbie like me), the tuners apparently keep tune very well however cheap they are, and the bridge is string-through. The quilt-top is a nice icing.

So I really have three questions:
    1.) Compared to the standard (I'd guess a Fender Jazz Bass), does this look to be worth the money?
    2.) What would I have to go through to replace the J pickups with P/J pickups? I'd like to try it, but not if I have to chop up that beautiful body to do it.
    3.) What kinds of batteries to Active pickups take, and how long do they usually last?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If you need to have a 'P' pickup, don't get this bass! You'd have to do some routing and you'd have some spaces on either pickup side showing. There are other basses in your price range that offer P/J setups. Just a few below.

SR300DX Soundgear Bass
    Squier Standard P-Bass Special
    Squier MB-4 Skull and Crossbones Bass
    Ibanez GSR200 4-String Bass
    Squier SQ MB-4 4-String Bass
    Yamaha RBX170 Bass

3. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    It's not that I need to have a P/J pickup setup, it was just something I was interested in, and I wanted to know how possible it would be. I can absolutely live without it.

4. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    For that price, go with Brice... (new Rondo Slogan maybe?)

5. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    From what I've seen, Brices are mostly strangely-shaped 5 or 6-stringers. I'm not out to get anything special at the moment; I just want a nice looking, nice sounding 4-string bass, and I wanna know if that Peavy I linked to looks right.

6. I've never played a Brice, but I have played a BXP and own an AC BXP. The BXP series you are looking at are good beginner basses. Solid construction with minimal flaws, nice looks, on par playability. The tone is ok, but it is different than that of a Fender Jazz. If you are expecting that tone, I think you'd be disappointed. Not saying it doesn't have a usable tone, just saying it doesn't sound like a Fender to me.

However, if you can come up to the AC BXP series, you'd get some big time improvements IMO for a little extra cash. The AC BXP has the VFL soaps similar to those on the Cirrus, and an active pre. I like the natural tone of these much better. Plenty of output but whisper quiet as far as hum. Naturally warm bottom end and bright, clear high end. With the pre, it's easy to get solid slap tones, tap tones, and fingerstyle tones. IMO definitely one of the more organic/natural sounding modern tones.

The things are also built like a tank! Mine has had coke spilt in the pickups and in a clash, put two dings in the Jazz I briefly had, all without suffering a ding itself. It finally did succumb to the ding monster, but that was at the hands of my seven year old niece, so I'm sure you can imagine the type of heck it survived on that day.

7. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I may actually end up getting that one instead. My main issue with it is entirely aesthetic: It doesn't come in transparent blue, and the transparent black (my other choice) looks like it has a purplish tint. I don't suppose you can clarify this for me?

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    +1

9. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Strangely shaped? Most Brices have the same shape as Modulus' in the v2 .. And those new HBX4's are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Thats a nice lookin 4 banger! Do it..DO IT