Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass purchase...should I or shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Nov 29, 2002.

1. I have the opportunity to buy a Warwick Thumb Bolt-ON 5-String, used, for $1300 CDN (about $900 USD). It's an old one, with EMG pickups and it appears to be in great shape other than a few tiny scratches on the bridge. Does this seem like a good price?

2. I didnt think they had any old bolt-ons. How old is it? When i hear "old warwick" i think of an 80s warwick when they were all handmade.

3. By old, I meant with the EMG pickups. I'd guess it's a mid 90's.

4. In that case I dont know, im no warwick enthusiast. Ask Jason Braatz.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    A new Thumb BO 5 from Musicians Enemy is $1679.99 usd, so if the one you're looking at is nice, it seems like a decent deal to me. Cool basses, IMO, but I'm no Warwick expert either.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Do you honestly think, here on talkbass, that anyone is going to tell you that you shouldn't buy a bass? :)

I'll do it. You shouldn't buy it because I don't like Warwicks.

Makes no sense? Right!

If you like it, buy it.

7. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Yes, if you like the look and sound, and don't mind the neckdive that some claim, than 900 bucks is a good deal if it's in as good condition as you said.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Make sure that you play it, standing up, with a strap before you make your decision. They have major neck dive. Some don't mind it, others can't abide it.

9. crazyphil ; Visit http://www.mattsmusic.com/
    He has the Warwick Thumb Bolt 5 for $1259,
    4 Sting Bolt $1139 , 4 String Neck Thru $1919 with bag AND case, and the 5 String Neck Thru $2099 with bag AND case. All USD. These were the prices he quoted me about 2 months ago. He gives about 40% off of list