Bass Q's

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpecialEd123, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Hey im new to bass and a couple of friends of mine wanna start a kinda 'hard rock'/'punk rock' band. If i were to continue learning bass, i would be bass/lead vocals, and my other two friends would be guitar and drums. Are there any bands that have the bass player as lead vocals? If not, why? And if not should I just play electric like i was planning on? (That means wed have no bass player, unless we find another. thats a small chance) Any thoughts? Thanks.
  2. There are plenty of bands with singing bassists, Primus, Rush, Moe, and The Police to name a few(BTW- all the bassists in these bands are good so check them out).
    If this means electric guitar then NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:D
    Actually, play what you want to play, but I would pick the bass (of course I am a bit biased).
  3. Oh, and welcome to talkbass! Fill out your profile if you plan on sticking around.
  4. Its not that I dont like bass, its just that I havent really heard of many bands that have the bass player as lead vocals. You usually see the bass player on the side kinda mellowin out, now movin much. But because I was lead vocals, im going to have to move alot, and I wanted to make sure I could without messing up my bass tunes. In other words, I wanna be able to jump around and junk.

Ed, replacing the "u" with and "o" in a curse word doesn't make it ok to post it. Please take a moment to get acquainted witht he forum rules.
  5. Well playing bass and singing isnt any harder than playing guitar and singing, depending on what you are playing. You can jump around with a bass the same as a guitar. I dont ereally understand your guestion.:confused:
  6. Dont worry bout the rest of that nonsense, im kinda sleepy, you answered my question fully though, thanks.
  7. sometimes it's easier to play bass while you sing. you don't have to do chords or whatever like guitarists (pshhh...guitarists). check out those bands that Seapickle mentioned; they all rock.
    oh and i almost forgot: aloha. welcome to TB.
  8. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I think you should stick with playing bass and singing lead. Also, just because no one else has done something doesn't mean that you shouldn't. Some great bands with bass players/singers are- Nofx, Less Than Jake, and Avoid One Thing. Oh yeah-don't forget Motorhead.
  9. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    There were 2 bands that played at my school that both had singer/bassists.

oh, and Blink 182 just off the top of me head.