Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Quartet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bethelbass1, Nov 20, 2004.

1. I'm not sure this is in the right category,but.....

I'm trying to arrange some simple music for four basses. If anyone has any ideas on what each musician should play let me know. So far I'm leaning towards this set up.

1. melody
    2. harmony (1 and two are like the vocalists)

3. Chord structures (i.e. 5th 3rd 7th)
    4. Bass part (the bottom two are like the band)

This will obviously change from song to song, but i'd like to get a general lay out so we could play songs on the spot. Sort of like a combo playing out of the real book.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    There are plenty of bass quartets written for double basses. I'd suggest buying and analyzing some. Lemur (www.lemurmusic.com) has tons in stock, and they're not that expensive....

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I suggest getting in contact with Jamaaladeen Tacuma; he has the premiere bass quartet going.

Jamal anf Gearld Veasley on bg
    Ty Brown on BD
    Warrren Oree on DB

you can reach jamal at nouvobass @aol.com. If he asks just tell him Don Z sent you...

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    On Patitucci's On The Corner, there's a tune called "A Better Mousetrap"(IIRC, it is performed on one of his early VHS/DVDs)...it is 4 basses doing-
    1)Melody/Head
    2)Bass Groove
    3)Chords
    4)Funky figure, not chords(similar to what a Funk rhythm guitarist may play)

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have a few good Bach trios for bass, but no quartets- most of them are structured with everyone playing harmony. Gotta love baroque.