1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Rack Construction.

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Heifetzbass, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Hey Everybody,

I have gotten a lot of pm's about the construction of the bass rack I posted photos of a while back, so I decided to start a thread that we could discuss it and hopefully everybody could benefit.

Here is said rack:
    BassRack.

Another: BassRackConstruction.

I teach public school, so I am very familiar with the Wenger type of rack, so that is the design mine is based on.

The dimensions:
    W: 63"
    H: 65"
    D: 26"

Materials list:

(2) 2" X 10" X 96"
    (5) 2" X 4" X 96"
    (1) Box of Decking Screws (2 1/2")
    Pleather material for padding
    Drill
    Clamps (to hold pieces in place while you attach)
    Circular Saw
    Scroll Saw
    Sander/Sandpaper
    Staple gun
    Titebond Glue

The bottom is constructed of 2" X 10" in a rectangular shape, with the sides on the outside. There are two cross bars made of 2" X 4" on the inside of the base to divide it into a 3 bass rack. The cross pieces also help to provide stability to the base.

After you construct the bottom, you can start on the sides. The two tallest braces that hold the neck rack go on the outside of the base- even with the rear end of the base. They are 2 X 4's 65" tall. They are secured to the bottom base with decking screws. Then put in the support braces. The support braces are diagonal from the front of the base to the tall braces that hold the neck. Mine are 48.5" long and are attached to the top of the front of the base and attached to the inside of the vertical neck support brace. The front attachment must be cut at an angle to attach to the top and I cut the rear side flush with the rear support. Attach the front first and then work with the back.

After the sides are constructed then you put in the neck brace. I used a 2 X 4 approximately 61.5" long, but measure and fit yours to the verical braces before cutting just to be sure! Before installing the brace I measured and centered my rack spaces and found where I wanted my neck spaces located. (one of my racks is larger than the others- not all equal) I then made a template from a disposable plastic container lid and traced that on the neck brace. I used my scroll saw to cut out the neck spaces and then attached that to my vertical braces at an angle (approximately 15 degrees angled toward the rear) centered 6.5" from the top of the vertical brace.

After construction I sanded with my random orbital sander and put on a coat of dark mission brown minwax stain, followed by a couple of coats of polyurethane. When the finish was dry I applied some batting and pleather to cover the edges where the basses would contact the rack. I think this was the hardest part. Didn't know exactly how to do it, but it came out pretty well.

All in all, it didn't cost me much to make as I had the lumber laying around. Around $50 in materials, probably $100 if you must by the lumber.

Any more questions, please let me know. I will be happy to expound.

BG

Adam Booker likes this.
  2. Pentabass

Pentabass

Dec 11, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Thank you for sharing. I like the look of the wood -- it fits well with the nice basses.

I always wonder about the area where the neck touches the rack - further away from the neck mortise, and the leverage forces are way higher!

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    H, thanks for this.

Could I ask I favor... could you take some photos of the rack without basses in it? Esp of the base where the basses sit?

4. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Thanks for the design , I'll try and build one next weekend

Robert VanLane

5. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Diddy,

I will try to get some pics today or tomorrow... Monday is a long day for me.

BG

6. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    No rush. Thanks.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Thanks for the information!

I like the idea of building one of these as the total cost would be less than the cost to get one of the Wenger ones shipped.

8. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    New Pics

Upper Brace Connection:
    DSC00234.

Bottom Brace Connection:
    DSC00233.

Inside Rack Base:
    DSC00235.

If there are any more requests- let me know.
    BG

9. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Oh wow, so it's just basically a padded box with a brace on top for the neck? I can do that!

Thanks for the photos.

10. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Diddy,

You need some tools and some good common sense. If I was closer I would help you with it.

Good luck.

11. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Arsene Wenger builds racks? They're probably guaranteed to work well with your basses in a couple of years, because the wood isn't mature just yet.

JLubinsky-Mast likes this.
  12. NateL

NateL

Feb 19, 2019
    I know this chain is really old, but I'm wondering if any of you are still on it. Is the bottom box 26" wide then? Meaning, 23" wide plus the width of the 3 inches of the 2x10's (1.5 by 1.5)? I'm building one of these for our music teacher at my school and trying to figure out some of the spacing.

13. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Yes, that is correct.

Adam Booker likes this.